On 06 May 2015, at 23:38, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/6/2015 9:43 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Well, you do believe in consciousness as you agree with "comp1", like John Clark, and others. Comp1 involves the notion of consciousness, by assuming it invariant for some digital substitution.

But only a physical digital device - not just abstract digital substitution.

At step 0? OK. The whole point is that this will be shown spurious.

In thinking about the question of whether playback of a recording would instantiate consciousness, I'm led to wonder whether the ability of neurons to grow and to instantiate learning is necessary to consciousness? It's necessary for humans to learn and that includes learning new memories, which we consider essential to personal identity.

No problem with this, but that happens all the time in arithmetic.