> I disagree. I think this criticisms comes from a misinterpretation of what
> the p-value means. The p-value estimates the probability of seeing results
> at least as helpful to the hypothesis as the ones found, assuming the null
> hypothesis. A high p-value is informative because it tells us that the null
> is a likely explanation when compared to the hypothesis. A low p-value
> tells us that the hypothesis merits further investigation.
>

> First, you've got high and low mixed up.  A low p-value, e.g. 0.05, is
> considered significant in medical tests, 1e-6 is considered significant in
> particle physics.

No, you misread me. Notice that I was arguing that a result in favor of the
null (high p-value) is perhaps more informative than a result in favor of
the hypothesis (low p-value), because the method is quite vulnerable to
false positives -- you can expect to find the same ratio of false positives
as the significance threshold you are using. Thus so many "cures for
cancer", as you say.

>   The p-value tells us nothing about the probability of any of the
> hypothesis being true. It's a filter for noise, given the available data.
>

> But the trouble is it generates noise.  The high value, 0.05, used in
> medicine with understandably small sample size is the reason the "New
> Scientist" can tout a new discovery for curing cancer every 6 months.

Yes.

> And on the other end when you have really big samples, as in the PEAR
> experiments, you're virtually certain to reject the null hypothesis at
> 0.001 simply because your testing a point hypothesis against an undefined
> alternative, i.e. "anything else".

Also true.

>>  Any useful analysis would have to be Bayesian and start with some prior
>> alternative hypotheses one of which would be Prob(temperature goes up|lots
>> of CO2 is added to the atmosphere).  That already has a high prior
>> probability based on the analysis of Savante Arrhenius in 1890.
>>

>  If you did Bayesian analysis in this fashion, you would be assuming at
> the start what you want to test for.
>

> Yeah, just as if you did a Bayesian analysis of whether gravity made
> things fall down: Yep, that one fell.  OK, that one fell. Yep, the third
> one fell...  Statistics isn't the best decision process for everything.

It's the worse, and should only be used when we don't have anything better.
The trouble is that this "anything better" must take the form of a model
capable of making reliable predictions. With gravity you don't need
statistics, because the laws of motion can predict the outcome perfectly
every single time. It would be silly to use statistics there, as you say.

With climate change and cures for cancer you need statistics, because there
are no such laws in these fields. There is no equation where you can
plug-in a CO2 concentration and get a correct prediction on global
temperature change.

> [...]
>>

>  Ok. My alternative hypothesis is that there is no trend of global
> temperature increase in the period from 1998 to 2010 (as per Liz's chart's
> timeframe), when compared to temperature fluctuations in the 20th century
> (as defined by the metric in the chart).
>

> OK.  Here's one way to do it. The ten warmest years in the century from
> 1910 to 2010 all occurred in the interval 1998 to 2010, the last 13yrs of
> the century.  Under the null hypothesis, where the hottest year falls is
> uniform random, so the hottest year had probability 13/100 of falling in
> that interval.  The next hottest year then had probability 12/99 of falling
> in the remaining 12yr of that interval, given the hottest had already
> fallen it. The third hottest year had probability 11/98 of falling in that
> interval, given the first two had fallen in it, and so on.  So the
> probability of the 10 hottest years falling in that 13yr period is
>
>     P = (13*12*...5*4)/(100*99*...*92*91) = 1.65e-11
>
> To this we must add the probability of the more extreme events, e.g. the
> probability that the ten hottest years were in the last 12
>
>     P = (12*11*...*5*4*3)/(100*99*...*92*91) = 3.81e-12
>
> and that they were in the last 11
>
>     P = (11*10*...*5*4*3*2)/(100*99*...*92*91) = 6.35e-13
>
> and that they were in the last 10
>
>     P = (11*10*...*5*4*3*2)/(100*99*...*92*91) = 5.77e-14
>
> Summing we get P = 2.10e-11
>
> A p-value good enough for CERN.  But this isn't a very good analysis for
> two reasons.  First, it's not directly measuring trend, it's the same
> probability you'd get for any 10 of the observed temperatures falling on
> any defined 13 years.  So you have infer that it means a trend from the
> fact that these are the hottest years and they occur in the 13 at the end.
> Second, it implicitly assumes that yearly temperatures are independent,
> which they aren't.  If temperatures always occurred in blocks of ten for
> example the observed p-value would be more like 0.1.  But this shows why
> you need to consider well defined, realistic alternatives.  Your
> alternative was "no trend", but no trend can mean a lot of things,
> including random independent yearly temperatures.
>
> A better analysis is to select two different years at random and count how
> many instances there are in which the later year is hotter.  Under the null
> hypothesis only half should count. This directly counts trends. And this is
> independent of whether successive years are correlated.  There are 10000
> possible pairs in a century which is large enough we can just sample it. I
> got the NOAA data from 1880 thru 2013, so I used a little more than a
> century.
>
> For example taking a sample of 100 pairs gives 86 in which the later year
> was warmer (I counted ties as 0.5).  The null hypothesis says this is like
> getting 86 heads in 100 tosses, which obeys a binomial distribution.  The
> probability of getting 86 or more heads in a 100 tosses is 4.14e-14.

Brent, I tip my hat to you.
I was preparing to write some objections after reading your first analysis,
but your pair sampling analysis already addresses them. You convinced me
that there is, in fact, a global temperature increase trend in the last
century.

Telmo.