On 14 May 2015 at 12:32, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 11:26:17AM +1200, LizR wrote:
> > On 13 May 2015 at 18:20, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > For a robust ontology, counterfactuals are physically instantiated,
> > > therefore the MGA is invalid.
> > >

> > Can you elaborate on this? ISTM that counterfactuals aren't, and indeed
> > can't, be physically instantiated. (Isn't that what being counterfactual
> > means?!)
>
> No - counterfactual just means not in this universe. If its not in any
> universe, then its not just counterfactual, but actually illogical, or
> impossible, or something.
>

> > As I mentioned, a simple example is my decision between tea and coffee.
> In
> > the MWI (or an infinite universe) there are separate branches (or
> > locations) in which I have both - but in the branch where I had tea, I
> > didn't have coffee, and vice versa. And because those branches can't
> > communicate, the road not taken remains counterfactual and non-physical
> > within each branch. Isn't that enough for the MGA to not need to worry
> > about counterfactuals, even in the MWI/Level whatever multiverse?
> >

> Why is communication needed?

Because otherwise there can be no physical influence, and - within the
branch(es) in which the MGA is being carried out - the recorded system is
identical to the non-recorded one. Without any physical communication /
interference there is no difference from a single universe version. Well,
ISTM, at least.