On 5/23/2015 9:58 PM, Pierz wrote:

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 8:36:40 PM UTC+10, Liz R wrote:

    I'm not sure why comp would predict that physical laws are invariant for all
    observers. I can see that it would lead to a sort of
super-anthropic-selection
    effect, but surely all possible observers should exist somewhere in
arithmetic,
    including ones who observe different physics (that is compatible with their
existence) ?

I really must dig up the old thread! But I'm not saying comp does entail invariant physics for all observers, just that if there are different physics, the substitution level must be very low indeed. Think of the original scenario in the UDA: a person in Washington is suddenly annihilated, and then duplicated in Helsinki and Moscow (or whatever). That operation creates a 50% probability of finding oneself in Helsinki or Moscow. But the ultimate point of the UDA is that one's actual probability of finding oneself in Helsinki or Washington depends on the total measure of /all/ virtual environments within which that observer is instantiated in an environment that looks like one of those cities. One can't isolate a particular virtual system from the trace of the UD. So you can't create an arbitrary physics in an environment that looks like either city (or anywhere). Well you can, but any observer will always find their own physics to be the measure of *all* their continuations in arithmetic. So there can't be an environment that is like Helsinki or Moscow at some point but that has different physical laws. Carry this logic over to the scenario of a person standing in an empty room - the physics the person experiences will be the measure of all such identical persons standing in empty rooms.

"Experiencing physics" I think needs some explication. If experiencing only refers to consciously thinking propositions, then one may not be experiencing much physics: the world seems 3D with colors, there's a mild temperature, air smells OK,... One doesn't directly, consciously experience the 2nd law, or the Born rule. The "laws of physics" are human inventions to describe and predict events. They're not out there in Nature; which is why we have to revise them from time to time as we find more comprehensive, more accurate "laws".

The question here is what constitutes the observer? How detailed would a simulation of me have to be before it became a subjective /duplicate/ of me, its continuations my continuations? If there is a person A somewhere in the UD who is experiencing an empty room with physics A, and another identically configured person B somewhere else experiencing physics B, what is stopping the continuations of A mixing with the continuations of B, so that the measures combine into a merged physics? There has to be something in both observers' computational states that distinguishes them sufficiently that their experiences cannot interfere with one another - the comp equivalent of decoherence. (In fact if QM effects are the manifestation of UD observer measures, the threshold at which these effects start to kick in should probably give us a strong clue about how low the substitution level is!)

Observers and their experiences, including physical laws, can't be kept apart by physical or temporal space, but only by differences in the computational states that define them. Physics is emergent from the computational properties of observers, and therefore any difference in physics experienced by different observers is a function of their mathematical configuration. If we find that there are observers in other universes who experience different physics, then it must be the case that the substitution level for those observers includes their entire universe.

That said, if I recall our previous discussion correctly, Bruno disfavoured the idea of different physics for different observers. He seems to believe it should indeed be invariant.
That position appears to me to be at odds with the direction of modern
cosmology.

That would seem to depend on how different. Modern cosmology naturally builds on quantum field theory, so it starts with the hypothesis the QFT applies, but possibly with different values of those parameters we attribute to symmetry breaking (i.e. random).