Pierz wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:10:37 AM UTC+10, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    On 23 May 2015, at 12:36, LizR wrote:

    I'm not sure why comp would predict that physical laws are
    invariant for all observers

    I can see that it would lead to a sort of
    super-anthropic-selection effect, but surely all possible
    observers should exist somewhere in arithmetic, including ones who
    observe different physics (that is compatible with their existence) ?

    Those with different physics will have measure zero. Why? Because
    the laws of physics must be given by the sum on all computations
    below the substitution level, whatever any universal machine state
    can be in. Only geography will need the anthropic element, the
    physics needs only a mathematical statistics on all computation,
    going in "actual state" which are any state.

    Physics become a theorem of machine theology, itself a theorem of
arithmetic (+ comp).
    Of course, today, we don't know how much the "standard model" is
    contingent or absolute. String theory diminish a large part of the
    contingent parts, but introduces complexity in other direction, with
    panorama of different sorts of physics. All this are open problem in
    comp.
    The goal of comp is to provide an explanation of the relation
    between consciousness/mind and appearance of matter and persistence,
    and this in some testable way. It is an explanation in the form of
    the formulation of a problem, or a reduction of a problem into
another one.
    Bruno

OK the 'invariant physics' you refer to is a very low-level one, i.e., the ultimate unifying laws. However, let me try to put my point about the substitution level another way to make it clearer. ISTM that it will be sufficient for there to be another region of the multiverse where the observable, everyday physics (things like particle masses etc) are different in order to force us to conclude that the substitution level must be as large as the observer's universe. Why? Because let's say there is an observer in another region of the multiverse whom I wish to duplicate here in *this* region, where the observable laws are different. I get a copy of that observer's memories etc and reproduce them here. Now suddenly that observer has a continuation that experiences the physics of *this* region. But if that was possible, then the physics of both regions would have merged, because observers in both regions would already be able to interfere with one another's measures. SO, in order to prevent such interference of measures and a merging of physics into an average measure, it must be that in order to duplicate an observer in another region, I need to duplicate the observer to such a deep level that the separation into the two regions is as it were enforced by the very definition of that observer. The observer must include the entire computational branch down to the point at which the two physics diverged.

I think you are largely right here. There is not even any reason to suppose that there is an 'invariant physics', even at the lowest of levels. If string theory is any guide, then laws such as electromagnetism, gravity, the weak and strong nuclear forces, and so on, depend on the topological windings of the Calabi-Yau manifolds that govern the compactification of the unobserved extra dimensions. Even the number of space-time dimensions might vary between these possibilities. With even slight modifications of the configurations that obtain in our universe, the physics would be very different, and there might well not be any 'invariant laws' at all.

So I think you are probably right -- the substitution level must include the whole of the level I multiverse (the multiverse over which the same laws as we observe obtain). This, at least, will give a block universe from which sensible space and time parameters could be extracted. But how this is related to the comp summation over multiple instances of an individual's conscious moments escapes me completely.

Bruce