On 27 Aug 2015, at 00:25, smitra wrote:

The answer is (1), except that that it's not the algorithm for generating the laws of physics rather simply you, me, Bruno or whatever other conscious entity at some particular state where they have some conscious experience. Each different conscious experience is defined by the action of some operator on a set of states.

Are you assuming QM?

This defines a different element for each different conscious experience.

The laws of physics are effective meta laws that describe the structure of the multiverse. The laws of physics allow one to predict the probability to experience certain experimental outcomes and this must therefore already include any effects due to us having multiple copies in various sectors of some Platonic multiverse.

Bruno has made some progress in deriving the laws of physics from such ideas, but I'm not convinced at this moment that his approach is indeed the correct path.

It is not my path. It is the path of any ideally arithmetically sound self-referentially correct entity (in particular the platonist computationalist ideally arithmetically sound self-referentially correct machines).

The weakness of this approach is that it use mathematical logic, which is not well known.

I've been thinking about a different approach, here one starts with defining an observer moment as a fuzzy object defined by a mapping from set of inputs to a set of outputs. The fuzzyness comes from the fact that both sets have more than one element, so one cannot nail down exactly what is observed, it has a finite width. On the other hand, the range is not infinite, therefore the mapping is not clearly defined. The larger you make the range of the mapping, the better defined the mapping becomes but then the fuzzyness of what is observed increases.

Given any arbitrary observer moment defined by such an operator O, one can construct a generator H such that:

exp(-i H t) = O E

where H acts on a larger space than O and then the exponentiation results in the tensor product of O and another operator E that acts on the extraneous degrees of freedom. The question is if there exists an H that can be specified with just a few bits of information for some generic O that needs to be specified using trillions of gigabytes of information.

I am open to the exp(-i H t) solution. The advantage of getting it, (if it is correct from the machine's introspection/interview) is to make us able to distinguish the sharable part (the measurable numbers of the experimental physicists) from the non sharable (but still true) part of reality, that is, notably, the qualia, consciousness, the divine, etc. This by the intensional nuance of the logic of self- reference G and G*, and G* \ G, but mainly.

The aristotelians cheat by looking at nature, but of course there is no problem, and it is needed to compare with what the machine can find in their "head".

Bruno

Saibal