On 15 Sep 2015, at 22:33, smitra wrote:

On 12-09-2015 10:26, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 11 Sep 2015, at 18:17, smitra wrote:
It seems to me that COMP should lead to MWI plus a preferred basis where the latter derives from well defined computational states. Many of the problems with the MWI should not arise here, they are an artifact of the theory never defining what an observation is, appealing to ad hoc intuitive notions that are never formulated from within the theory itself. The notion that the environment plays a fundamental role should be rejected on physical grounds, it just explains the effective physics we observe just like air resistance explains why Newton's laws were not all that obvious to people who lived many centuries ago. The only way you can explain Newton's law to students is by letting them contemplate a perfect vacuum. It doesn't matter here how physically unrealistic that perfect vacuum is or isn't. The same is true for quantum mechanics. You'll never make process if you always invoke the environment and environment induced decoherence to try to define fundamental concepts, because Nature cannot possibly work that way on the fundamental level. Instead, within quantum mechanics (i.e. if we forget about the desire to derive QM from COMP or some other deeper theory) defining observers as computations, means that they should be represented as operators of the form:
sum over input of |output><input|
which leads to a preferred basis when you introduce an environment.
An environment or a universal machine, with or without oracle(s).
I think we agree.
I hope you agree that we agree here.

Yes, and I think you could make a lot of progress by trying to deconstruct QM in terms of algorithms.

Algorithm cannot be enough.

Assuming Mechanism, the doctrine that there is a physical universe is deconstructed, and with Church thesis, the deconstruction is partially constructive, as it shows what physics has to be given by the global FPI calculus on the computations/sigma_1 sentences.

But the FPI calculus does not rely exclusively on the computations (modeled by the true sigma_1 sentences), but on the logic of correct self-reference with respect to those propositions, or logic of provability (and its intensional variants) with the atomic propositions being the sigma_1 arithmetical sentences. Despite provability, unlike computability, is a relative notion, depending on the machine or subject, as long as it is supportable by a machine, and arithmetically correct, the general laws of self-reference (captured by G*) will apply, and physics depends only on that.

And so I think that the work is entirely done, at least at the propositional level. QM proposition calculus is entirely given by the logics of []p & <>t (& p). The FPI is not algorithmic, even if the distribution of probability is algorithmic with the simple protocol, but even the simple FPI is no more algorithmic on the universal dovetailing (or on the sigma_1 propositions) as we cannot recognize them as such algorithmically. This makers very nice that the propositional logic of observable is decidable (and close to a Quantum Logic).

Note that the quanta appears at the star-level (in X1* minus X1), making quanta into special case of qualia, which is coherent with Everett's superposition of collection of people (first person plural) and with the idea that the "absolute 3p reality is a multi-dreams (and note a many-worlds). This shows that even with the Everett "MWI", we don't have any world: only sharable first person experiences. If the quanta would have appeared in Z1 or X1 (and not in the proper star- extension) a notion of apparent global physical reality would have made sense, but it looks we lost this.

I recall the 8 povs or "hypostases";

1) p   (truth of p)
2) [0]p = []p = bewesibar('p'), with p a (sigma_1) arithmetical sentence.
3) [1]p = []p & p  (the knower, or soul or inner god)
4) [2]p = []p & <>t (the observer, gambler, ...)
5) [3]p = [2]p & p  (the "senser").

which can be put in this diagram:

   1=1*
2        2*
   3=3*

4        4*
5        5*

We have that
   1=1*
2        2*
   3=3*
is the basic propositional theory of mind/soul (1= One, 2 = Intellect, 3 = Soul)
and
4        4*
5        5*
gives the "two sorts of matter": 4 = intelligible matter, 5 = sensible matter.

Quantizations appear at 3*, 4*, and 5*. That suggests 3 sorts of logics structuring (slightly?) differently the physical reality. I guess that 3* is "heaven physics" (the physics of the soul which has not yet felt), and 4*, like 5*, are the physics of "earth", when we sin in the bet on the non justifiable "Reality" (<>t).

So we can not only test mechanism, but we can test if we are in heaven or not :)

No need to take this too much seriously. A lot of research needs to be pursued to clarify all this. At the quantified logical level, we know that both 2 and 2* are highly undecidable, and I expect it to be like that for 3, 3*, 4, 4*, 5 and 5* too.

That is technically annoying, but if the whole quantified logic were decidable, I would have doubted that comp is true, because the whole physics and theology would have become decidable, which I cannot really imagine. In fact the miracle is that at the *propositional* level, those logics *are* decidable.

Now I am aware that not much people have the background in logic, to get this straight, and without asking question it is hard for me to say much more. To get an intuition, I can only suggest to read the neoplatonists or the mystics, or to try to find out by themselves by meditation, or other "perturbation of the brain" technic, in some (non dangerous) way. People have to be careful because those technic can also be used for brainwashing and to deepen the "illusion", but then everything can be misused, even logic.

Bruno

Saibal

Bruno
Saibal