On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​
>> ​>>​
>> Store the entire contents of Wikipedia on the tape of your Turing machine
>> and then retrieve that information or explain to me why you are unable to
>> do so.  ​
>

> ​> ​
> It is a trivial theorem of arithmetic that there is a Turing machine which
> store the contents of wikipedia.

I don't give a hoot in hell if there is a
​trivial ​
theorem of arithmetic that says there is a
​purely mathematical ​
Turing machine which
stores​​
the
​entire ​
contents of
​​
Wikipedia​;​
 I want you to
​do something very different, I want you to ​
actually store the
​entire ​
contents of
​
Wikipedia in a purely mathematical Turing machine.  And if you can't
​do it ​
(and you
​most certainly ​
can not​ do it​!
) I want to know why you
can't​

if as you say mathematics is more fundamental than physics. I think the
reason may be that mathematics is
​NOT​
 as fundamental as physics
​,​
and
​so ​
theorems​​
of arithmetic are not as important
​,​
and not as true
​,​
and not as real
​,​
as the laws of physics.

> ​> ​
> Just read any book on the subject.

​No book on that subject or on any other subject can perform a calculation,
but a silicon microprocessor can. ​

> ​> ​
> I already gave you the definition by Davis.

​
No definition by Davis or by anybody else can perform a calculation, but a
silicon microprocessor can.

> ​> ​
> Nothing physical is assume,

​And no calculation is performed. ​

> ​> ​
> It describes the realities accessible from the different points of view.

If it's not made of matter that obeys the laws of physics no calculation is
performed from ANY point of view.​

​> ​
> You just use a no standard not well defined notion of physical
> computation. When you define it, you use the mathematical notion, and add
> that you take only the physical computation as existing.

​That is because ​
physical computation
​ is the ONLY type of computation that anyone has ever observed in the
entire history of the world. The evidence for ​Bigfoot or flying saucers or
the Loch Ness monster or Elvis Presley being alive is far better than the
evidence for non-physical computing.

> ​> ​
> Your use of materialism is similar to the use of God
> and you confirm for the nth time that non-agnostic atheism sides with
> religious fundamentalism.

Wow, calling a guy known for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.
​

  John K Clark​