On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> ​
>>> ​>> ​
>>> That is because ​
>>> physical computation
>>> ​ is the ONLY type of computation that anyone has ever observed in the
>>> entire history of the world. The evidence for ​Bigfoot or flying saucers or
>>> the Loch Ness monster or Elvis Presley being alive is far better than the
>>> evidence for non-physical computing.
>>>

>> ​> ​
>> You could say the same thing about computers existing on other universes
>>

> ​
> No, the 2 slit experiment is evidence of other
> ​ ​
> universes, not ironclad evidence I admit but far better than the evidence
> ​
> Elvis Presley
> ​ ​
> is still alive,

My point isn't that we have no evidence for those other things, my point
was (assuming these other things do exist) they are examples of computers
and computation that have no effect on anything in this universe. E.g., you
can't backup wikipedia to this hypothetical computer in an alternate
universe, and then get the data off of it when your hard drive fails in
this universe.

> and infinitely better than the evidence non-physical computing exists
> because that evidence is zero.

The double-slit experiment is evidence of platonic computation being
responsible for our consciousness, along with many other properties seen in
physics. The theory has survived numerous tests, without being disproven,
which is all we can hope for as evidence for any theory.

Jason