On 04 May 2016, at 01:25, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 4/05/2016 3:41 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 03 May 2016, at 00:32, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 3/05/2016 1:49 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 02 May 2016, at 07:54, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 2/05/2016 3:15 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:13 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au > wrote:

No, I disagree. The setting b has no effect on what happens at a remote location is sufficiently precise to encapsulate exactly what physicists mean by locality. In quantum field theory, this is generalized to the notion of local causality, which is the statement that the commutators of all spacelike separate variables vanish -- as you mention below.

And if you used full quantum description of the measuring apparatus and experimenter, and didn't assume any collapse on measurement, then there would in general be no single "setting b" in the region of spacetime where one experimenter was choosing a setting, but rather a superposition of different settings. Do you think your preferred definition can be meaningfully applied to this case, and if so how?

I do not know what you here mean by "collapse on measurement"? It seems that you might be confusing a collapse to a single world after measurement with the projection postulate of standard quantum theory. The projection postulate is essential if one is to get stable physical results -- repeated openings of the box in Schrödinger's cat experiments would result in oscillations between dead and alive cats.

The projection postulate is replaced by the FPI in Everett, and as I explained yesterday, it is just self-entanglement, or what I call often the contagion of superposition:

Alice * (up + down) = Alice * up + Alice * down.

If Alice look, as many times as she want at the up/down state of the particle, she will find up (and always up) *and* down and always down. The reason is that once she find up, Alice becomes Alice-up, and that state does no more factor out the particle state (unless memory erasure).

That is just the projection postulate, it cannot be replaced if you want to agree with observation.

Well OK. If that is the projection postulate, then it is a theorem in QM-without collapse, through the direct use of the First Person Indeterminacy.

As I thought, you have confused this with the collapse of the wave function to a single world.

That is the confusion of the Copenhagen people, who believe (correctly) that a measurement select one world among many, but believe (incorrectly) that the other worlds, or wave suterms, have mysteriously disappear.

With Everett analysis of measurement, we have:

Alice * (up + down) = Alice * up + Alice * down. (linearity of tensor product),

and it becomes:

Alice-seeing-up * up + Alice-seeing-down * down (linearity of time evolution)

With the copenhagen collapse of the wave, we have:

Alice * (up + down) = Alice * up + Alice * down. (linearity of tensor product),

and it becomes

Alice-seeing-up * up  (non-linearity of time evolution)

or

Alice-seeing-down * down (again with a non-linearity of time evolution)

The proportion of worlds, or the probability of results being given by the (square-root of 1/2)^2 (= 1/2), square root hidden above for reason of readability.

When it is boiled down, this is nothing more than a matter of taste. By concentrating on the individual worlds, so that

      A(|+>|-> - |->|+>) --> A(+)|+>|->   OR   A(-)|->|+>

where A(+) means "Alice sees + as her result", and so on, the conventional understanding simply implements the insights coming from decoherence and wider entanglement with the environment, leading to the emergence of disjoint worlds: the original pure state reduces to a mixed state (represented by the use of 'OR' in the above equation) as a result of the partial trace over environmental degrees of freedom. The alternative formulation (where 'OR' is replaced by '+') simply retains the original pure state and does not represent the formation of disjoint worlds following environmental decoherence.

?

You talk like if the conventional understanding as many-worlds, and the MW was not leading to Many worlds.

This is sometimes referred to (following Tegmark) as the difference between the 'frog' and 'bird' views.

(It is more precisly the difference between the first person view and the third person view. It is not a question of scaling.

Nothing substantial hangs on this -- it is just a difference of perspective which adds nothing to the state. The 'frog' view is what you would call a result of FPI:

OK. Nice you see that.

I see it as a result of the formation of actual disjoint worlds that continue to evolve separately, never to influence one another again. The 'bird' view is an abstraction that never actually influences anyone or anything.

The bird view is the universal wave, or the universal deployment or the sigma_1 truth/reality. It is the basic ontology. The first person views are the internal espistemologies.

The only real problem of Everett is that it must be extended on the sigma_1 truth, not just the quantum one. The quantum aspect must be explained phenomenologically too. (well, that is not obvious at all, but that is what explain).

Unless you sort out this confusion you will never understand quantum mechanics.

You see a confusion, because sometimes I talk about the projection postulate in the copenhagen frame, where it is associated with the collapse during the corresponding measurement, and sometimes I talk about the projection postulate in the frame of the non-collapse formulation of QM (Everett), in which case there is no collapse associated of course, but the differentiating or bifurcating realities/computations (relative terms of the linear wave).

See Price for the analysis of the singlet state in those terms. Or Tipler, that you interpreted incorrectly apparently by avoiding the first person indeterminacy.

I did not misinterpret either Price or Tipler -- they both make the same elementary mistake, and neither sees that they have, in fact, built non-locality into their analyses.

?

You need to make good your claim that my analysis is a misinterpretation.

? (Jesse Mazer did, and I did, and Price did, and Tipler did, Maudlin did, even Susskind and Friedman did). Let us say that we disagree on this. If I find a better pedagogy I will try it.

Bruno

Bruce