On 07-05-2016 02:36, Bruce Kellett wrote:

The use of the relative orientation angle theta is intrinsically
non-local. That angle cannot be obtained by local means in the above
derivation. The equation for |psi> derived above shows the full
coherent wave function as evolved from the initial state according
Schrödinger's equation. There is nothing else -- no more worlds or
dopplegangers than the four explicitly shown. The observers can only
differentiate into one of these four worlds. And that is correct -- it
is in agreement with experience. But it is still non-local.

It is wrong to invoke this angle in this way in the MWI. While it leads to the correct answer, one has to consider that the evolution of the state vector is still due to local dynamics. It's therefore a trivial fact that there cannot be any non-local effects here.

The illusion of a non-local effect comes from cutting corners in the derivation by assuming that there exists a macroscopic Alice here with some polarizer setting and a macroscopic Bob over there with some other polarizer setting and then we can can compute the correlations by just applying the usual formalism. And then we make hidden assumptions based on the classical behavior of Alice, Bob and the polarizers as they are macroscopic. That sounds reasonable, it also yields the correct answer but it's still wrong as a description of the physical situation according to the MWI.

A correct MWI derivation must involve working with a wavefunction that evolves under unitary time evolution. If you do that you're just going to re-derive the same old result, but using a much more cumbersome formalism. But that cumbersome formalism then does falsify your claim that the MWI is non-local.

The crucial point where your analysis is faulty is when you invoke the angle in an ad hoc way. The angle arises from the setting of the polarizers, we can e.g. assume that the polarizers were set a priori to some settings and that information was known globally. But then there is no issue with non-locality. You can also assume that Alice and Bob decide to choose the polarizer settings later, but then the evolution of Alice and Bob leading up to their choices must be included in the dynamics. If we are to assume that Alice cannot even in principle know what Bob's setting is, then that means that the physically correct state will be a superposition of many different polarizer settings for both Alice and Bob.

While you can project out the subspace where Alice chooses some angle and finds some particular result and then claim that if Bob had chose that same angle two of the four outcomes would mysteriously have vanished, there isn't anything on Bob's side that makes him make that same choice. Invoking that he'll do so amounts to just planting the information that exists on Alice side to Bob's side, that's then not a non-local effect at all.

If we are to assume that Bob's and Alice's settings were fixed, so we eliminate this improper planting of information from Alice's side to Bob's side, then you have to ask how it's possible that Bob's polarizer setting would always come out the same way as Alice's? Clearly you've then build this in in the dynamics so, you've hidden a non-local correlation in the Hamiltonian that describes the time evolution.

The bottom line is that a manifestly local theory cannot possibly yield a non-local results other than via trivial common cause effects. Fundamentally there is nothing more to this thought experiment that handing Alice and Bob correlated playing cards. It's just that quantum mechanics gives you a bit more room to hide the trick.

Saibal