On 05 May 2016, at 22:40, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 5/5/2016 5:57 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I will at the positive aspect. You seem to agree with the computationalist FPI. That is a progress. Now just reread Everett. Pure state evolves in pure state, and never becomes mixture in the MW. The third person view is given by the wave or matric formalism. The relative state are given by partial trace. We can define a world by a set of things close for interaction, this automatically ensure locality.

But the partial trace is not a physical process, it's choice of the analyst. Although decoherence provides some guidance it doesn't completely solve the Heisenberg cut problem. And even after taking the partial trace and getting a reduced, diagonal density matrix there is no physical principle for saying which are realized and why the trace in that basis instead of another.

I think that the FPI is enough. The partial trace is not physical, but its phenomenology is real and dictated by the choice of the measuring apparatus. It would be physically real, like with the collapse, then we would have action at a distance.

Roland Omnes looks at this analysis and says, "QM is a probabilistic theory. So when it predicts probabilities that all you can expect."

One of its book is the most brilliant defense of the MWI, but in the last paragraph of the book, he admit hating that idea, and decide that it was time to be irrational and decide that some God selects one physical reality.