On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:03:49PM +0100, Telmo Menezes wrote:
> Russell,
>
> I don't follow you... If you have time to dumb it down a bit, I would
> appreciate it :)
>
> Best,
> Telmo.

One of the things that Einstein was popularly known for is that the
speed of light is constant, regardles of who you are (more precisely
what inertial reference frame you occupy). Of course this leads to all
sorts of crank claims about Einstein being wrong, because the
speed of light is slower in glass than it is in a vacuum (say).

This work goes on to talk about allowing c (usually called the speed
of light) to vary as a function of time, slowing down from infinity at
the origin. Hence the attribution "Einstein was wrong". As a
scientist that would be very sloppy and attention seeking - but
hopefully this was a journalistic override.

The only thing fundamental are changes to dimensionless constants -
the fine structure constant \alpha being a classic example. For
something like c, if we redefined to meter and second to be suitably
varying functions of time, then we can damn well make c vary any way
we want. It is not fundamental - just a trick as it were.

Cheers