On 12/4/2016 10:45 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/3/2016 12:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Physicists confuse physics and metaphysics, by not seeing that
Aristotelianism is incompatible with Mechanism, and by confusing mechanism
and materialism. Yes, that happens often for fundamental researcher often
after retirement, except for philosophers, which confuses theology with
Aristotelian theology. René Thom explained well that physicists confuse the
notion of explanation and prediction. Physicists are good in prediction, but
naive about explanation.

How do you know an explanation is a good one unless it provides good
predictions?

Physicalism *is¨a form of creationism. They take the statement that "there
is a physical universe" as an explanation of why there is a physical
universe. They replace "God made it", by "it exists", but that is not
better.

Sure it is.  It is better not to add imaginary beings to your explanation
for several reasons.  First, it implies you know something for which you
have no evidence.
Second, brings in a lot of baggage about God:  He's a
powerful person.  He demands we enforce certain laws.  He hates the same
people we dislike.  He rewards worship....
You are implying specific definitions of God (I would guess Judaic-Christian).

I just invented a new religion. Here's the sacred text:
God is the explanation for matter existing and behaving the way it
does. It is not possible to know God.

Does your argument hold for my religion?

Your religion, like Bruno's, misuses the word "god" which has always meant a person; and by doing so you drag in a lot of baggage. There was a group of atheists in the Dallas area which for a time formed a church and claimed to be a religion for tax purposes. They defined "God" to be whatever was good in the world. The IRS disallowed their claim.