On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 7:49:20 AM UTC+1, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 05:54:22PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >
> > In our case, Brent was advertizing materialism or physicalism by
> > referring to the high predictive power of the physical laws. That is
> > the point which is inconsistent when we assume digital mechanism.
> >

> I didn't think Brent was doing that - but maybe Brent can chime
> in. 'Nuff said.

Heaven's sake guys, what a grave sin by Brent! :-)

Bruno building a wall again to protect some interpretation of
computationalism and making believers in primary matter pay for it? Throwing
everybody who has a record of assuming primary matter into jail? The grand
computationalist inquisition? With that reasoning Bruno would have to jail
Brent, Russell, Telmo, me, as well as himself. Stating to "not have a
problem with physicists", and then going on to imply somewhat a
state-of-affairs such that any agent/entity/observer who uses reason
without reading Bruno's publications is plausibly guilty of invoking a
primary physical universe to justify predictions... as if he had some
monopoly to the justified authority of pure reason itself; that's quite
funny and evidence of Bruno's fine sense of humor. Playing computationalist
police? Thou shalt pay your dues to the god of mechanism! Sole arbiter of
the one true power! Respect reason's Messiah on earth and don't fumble with
the origins of physical laws... in other words: if you use reason, accept
the pope of mechanism! The shit's patented. Pay up. lol

AFAIK he'll still brew his coffee that way and bet on a range of different
kinds of primary matter and their behavior, including fluids + temperature
over time, or that lightning won't strike him for hurting the coffee beans
by predicting a hurricane, even though he deems these things to be
incompatible with computationalism. Like he derives the time to turn off
the heat to his coffee pot from dovetailer branch probabilities!

Nice Christmas banter guys; the list got fun for a moment, which given all
the fundamental searching for pure curiosity's sake is quite a feat!
Because that fundamental searching is most definitely very grave and
serious; not a laughing matter at all. Enjoyment verboten, if not a little
bit in the background! AHA!!! How do you KNOW what is background or not?

Maybe a Christmas lecture on how to brew a dovetailer coffee WITHOUT
resorting to naive algorithms based on nothing but predictable physical
behavior of all objects and observers involved (yeah, yeah while failing to
explain the origin of physical laws) would be nice? I'd certainly sign up
and take notes...

Yeah, it could all be beautiful and true but what if god were less obvious
or not around? Aesthetically, the fun and games here exhibit the usual
over-reliance on consistency and hopefully everybody sees the humor of it.
Bruno does invoke a primary physical universe for that cup of coffee.
Regardless of whether it's the Bruno in Moscow or the one in Brussels.
Shiver me timbers and call me woody: Bruno drinks dark matter => Do we all
realize the seriousness of this original contribution to science?

Really? Not quite, but it's nice to see how much time everybody has. Large
parts of the drama here are better represented in the literature concerning
controversies between platonists/realists, nominalists, universals,
formalists and all that history of splitting hairs. But sure, this list
with its awesome opinions has the brains to solve these things once and for
all! Forward with the inquisition! Heathens- all of you!

Happy Holidays, ye nerds! Hope you survive the Trumpocalypse with minimal
exposure to excremental dark matter in your news streams, which Telmo had
to bring up, but which is undeniably here so the messenger cannot be shot.

Regardless of ontological commitments... Dark matter just got real lol. PGC