On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​
>> Well... at least atheists have some notation in mind when they use the
>> word
>> ​
>> ​ [God]​
>> .​
>>

> ​> ​
> But why chosing the notion from a theory they claim to disbelieve.

​Because the meaning Christians and Jews and Muslims give to the word "God"
is clear and if I had a switch that could make their God appear or
disappear the universe would look very different depending on if that
switch was on or off. Your God does nothing beyond the laws of physics so
it would make no difference if He existed or not.     ​

​>> ​
>> It may not exist but at least "an immortal person with supernatural power
>> who wants and deserves to be worshiped" means something.
>> ​
>>

> ​> ​
> Really?

​
Yes
​ really. "An​
 immortal person
​exists ​
with supernatural power who wants and deserves to be worshiped
​"​
means something
​, so the statement has the virtue of being either right or wrong.​ In this
case wrong. But when you say "God"  it means nothing so it's rather like a
burp,
 it's just a noise
​ and is neither right nor wrong.​

>> ​>> ​
>> Theists, at least most of those on this list, quite literally don't know
>> what they're talking about when they talk about "God".
>> ​
>>

> ​>​
> We use the greek notion.

​I'm begging you, please please please stop talking about the idiot ancient
Greeks!​

​

>>> ​>> ​
>>> ​ ​
>>> god is just the big things at the origin of everything.
>>

>> ​>> ​
>> And if that turns out to be the quantum vacuum are you prepared to call
>> that God? Of course you're not!
>

> ​> ​
> ?

*​!​​*
*​*

>> ​>> ​
>> And you can protest all you want but it's obvious you want something that
>> is conscious and intelligent and purposeful, not something as mindless as a
>> sack full of doorknobs.
>

> ​> ​
> ?

*​!​*

​> ​
> I have made it clear in posts and papers that the God of the machine is
> Arithmetical Truth.

​The set of all false arithmetical statements has as much (or as little)
existence as the ​
set of all true arithmetical statements; without physics and the
computations it allows how can even God tell one from the other? And the
correct multiplication table
​ can't think any better than ​
​an
 incorrect multiplication table
. ​And a God that can't think is a pretty low rent God.

​>>​
>> And speaking of a
>> ​
>> sack full of doorknobs, how can one tell the difference between a serious
>> theologian and a buffoon theologian?
>>

> ​> ​
> The first one personified God metaphorically.
> ​​
> The second one take such personification literally.

​So God has a metaphorical mind with metaphorical intelligence and
metaphorical consciousness who does metaphorical things and has a
metaphorical existence.  So God is every bit as real as Batman is. When
seeking an answer to a philosophical question you'd do just as well to ask
the opinion of an expert on Batman comics as you would to ask the opinion
of an expert on God.

​>> ​
>> I am going to ask a hypothetical question to try to get a better
>> understanding of what you're saying. Suppose for the sake of argument
>> you're wrong and that invisible fuzzy mindless blob did not exist; how
>> would the universe be one bit different? What could "God" bring to the
>> table that something that wasn't a invisible fuzzy mindless blob could not?
>

> ​> ​
> God exist by definition.

​You can create any definition you like and when you do so the definition
exists, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the thing or concept that is
being defined exists. I can define "flobknee" as "the integer that is equal
to 2+3 but is not equal to 5", the definition exists but the integer does
not.  ​But my question was not about definitions.
 I want to know how the universe would be different if
​, ​
​an​
 invisible
​amoral ​
fuzzy mindless blob
​ that does nothing to violate the laws of physics and does not hear our
prayers and is indifferent to our fate, did not exist. So what is your
answer, how would things be different?

> ​> ​
> if God did not exist, we would not have this conversation.

​I asked this question before but you did not answer it, If physics someday
proved that the quantum vacuum was responsible for existence would you be
prepared to call a vacuum God? I very much doubt it. God must be able to
think or the word becomes a joke.

 John K Clark