On 26/06/2017 3:57 pm, Russell Standish wrote:
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:50:45AM +1000, Bruce Kellett wrote:
That is not what is normally meant by the '+' symbol. You have
simply defined a conjunction to be a disjunction!
We are constructively defining +. I would not be so cruel as to use +
if the end point were not the usual group operation.

Yes, the endpoint is that the '+' is simple addition. It seems to me that if you actually wrote

    psi_a v psi_b,

where 'v' stands for disjunction, or 'or', you would not have got very far with your derivation. By writing the sum

   psi_a + psi_b = psi_{ab}

you have, in fact, simply assumed linearity. A significant property of linear systems is that if you have two solutions, the sum is also a solution. If you are dealing with sets, the the operation is the union of sets, which is different. But you specifically state that your projection operator acting on the ensemble produces a single outcome psi_a = \P_{a}*psi, so you are dealing with addition of numbers or functions, not the union of sets.

Thus, for the sum to make sense you must assume linearity. Now linearity is at the bottom of most distinctive quantum behaviour such as superposition, interference, and entanglement. It is not surprising, therefore, that if you assume linearity at the start, you can get QM with minimal further effort.

Bruce