On 14 Aug 2017, at 18:35, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 8/14/2017 1:52 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Aug 2017, at 21:38, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 8/12/2017 3:58 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

You try to help John C., but you contradict his "theory" (which is indeed based on the 1p/3p confusion).

I suggest that the whole of step 3 is based on a 1p/3p confusion. If the duplicated subject does not have 3p knowledge of the protocol, he will never be aware of being duplicated. In fact, he can never get first person knowledge of that duplication, even if he is, in fact, duplicated.

Let's examine that a bit. Suppose I've created an AI. Could this AI experience "being in Moscow and being in Washington". I think so. I simply provide duplicate sets of sensors, visual, audio, temperature, etc in both M and W. Now suppose the AI consists of two computers synchronously executing the same AI routine using the same sensory inputs, and this AI is connected to sensors in Helsinki. Now I switch the sensors to those in M and W. The AI experience M and W. But suppose that instead I switch one of the computers to the M sensors and the other to the W sensors. You ask the AI, when still connected to Helsinki, to bet on whether it will experience M xor W. Is there a right answer?

No, because that is the "telepathic" protocol. That change nothing in the conclusion that P(M) ≠ 1.

First, there nothing magic about the telepathy; we only think of ourselves as having a specific location in spacetime because that's a good model of what our bodily sensors provide us.

OK, but we assume mechanism, and a duplication which does not involve switching the sensory experiences. I have given many examples showing that the probability is not obvious to evaluate, like for example the case there are two identical reconstitutions in Moscow. The reasoning is based in agreeing with the precise sequence of protocols given.

And second, it's not telepathic in the last case, "suppose that instead I switch one of the computers to the M sensors and the other to the W sensors." To say that P(M)<1 you need to know what P(M) refers to.

Do you give the protocol to the AI before?

And of course what I was leading to is a third possibility: I switch the Helsinki AI to M and W and THEN I switch the sensors so that one is connected only to M and the other only to W. If you ask the AI that's in both M and W, "What is the probability you will be in W?", what's the right answer?

If the AI is told all this, it will answer P(M) = P(W) = 1/2. The indeterminacy will be on which screen lost the info that you were providing to both.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com .

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.