On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 3:06:50 PM UTC, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:21:14 PM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 11:15:40 PM UTC, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>>>

>>> I am new to this list and have not followed all the arguments here. In
>>> weighing in here I might be making an error of not addressing things
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> Consider quantum entanglements, say the entanglements of two spin 1/2
>>> particles. In the singlet state |+>|-> + |->|+> we really do not have the
>>> two spin particles. The entanglement state is all that is identifiable. The
>>> degrees of freedom for the two spins are replaced with those of the
>>> entanglement state. It really makes no sense to talk about the individual
>>> spin particles existing. If the observer makes a measurement that results
>>> in a measurement the entanglement state is "violently" lost, the
>>> entanglement phase is transmitted to the needle states of the apparatus,
>>> and the individual spin degrees of freedom replace the entanglement.
>>>
>>> We have some trouble understanding this, for the decoherence of the
>>> entangled state occurs with that state as a "unit;" it is blind to any idea
>>> there is some "geography" associated with the individual spins. There in
>>> fact really is no such thing as the individual spins. The loss of the
>>> entangled state replaces that with the two spin states. Since there is no
>>> "metric" specifying where the spins are before the measurement there is no
>>> sense to ideas of any causal action that ties the two resulting spins.
>>>
>>> This chaffs our idea of physical causality, but this is because we are
>>> thinking in classical terms. There are two ways of thinking about our
>>> problem with understanding whether quantum mechanics is ontic or epistemic.
>>>

>> The fact that probability waves evolve and interfere with each other, and
>> effect ensembles but not individual members, is inherently baffling. So the
>> wf can't be completely epistemic since it modifies physical reality. That
>> is, It must be ontic in some respect, but in ways that defy rational
>> analysis. AG
>>

> I think you are falling into a trap that David Hume warns against.
> Causality gives rise to correlation, but correlation is not necessarily the
> result of causality. There is no effect or some causal principle at work
> with either individual wave functions or wave functions in an ensemble of
> experiments. The ensemble of experiments, the classic case being the two
> slit experiment, is meant to deduces the wave nature of the quantum
> physics. It is not there to deduce some causal influence underlying quantum
> nonlocality.
>
> LC

Applying deBroglie's formula, a change in p changes the wave length, and
thus the distribution on the screen. That is, the ensemble responds to
changes in the wave length due to interference. I therefore deduce that the
wave length has a physical effect on the ensemble, but not on individual
outcomes. AG