On 28 Nov 2017, at 11:56, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 12:19:53 PM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 26 Nov 2017, at 21:56, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

and in modal logic it is □p → p.

No, that is the reflexion formula, typically not provable in general (for exemple Bf -> f, with f representing the constant falsity, or "0 = 1") expresses consitency (~Bf), which is not provable.

Löb's theorem asserts that the machine will say Bp -> p only when she actually prove p, which is a statement of modesty. Obviously if she proves p, she can prove Bp -> p, because p / (q -> p) is a valid rule in classical logic. But the machine, by Löb's theorem says the converse, if ever she proves Bp -> p, she proves p.

The formal modal formula is B(Bp -> p) -> Bp.

You are right, it has been a long time since I looked at this.

OK. No problem. I am already glad when people can say "I was wrong". It means that they have a bit of the scientific attitude.

It looks also like wishful thinking. If you succeed in convincing a Löbian entity (whose beliefs are close for the Löb rule, or having Löb's theorem for its bewesibar predicate) that if she ever believes that some medication will work, then it work, then she will believe the medication works!

It solves Henkin's problem about the status of the proposition asserting their own provability: p <-> Bp. We know with Gödel that those asserting their own non-provability to a consistent system must be true and unprovable by the system, that is not obvious for the Löbian sentences, as they could a priori be false and non provable, or true and provable, but it happens that they are always true (and provable).

The modus tolens is ⌐p → ⌐□p (⌐ = NOT) which is not the same as p → □p. The □ means necessarily and ⌐□⌐ means not necessarily not or possibly abbreviated as ◊ and so ⌐p → ◊⌐p. Godel's theorem illustrates a case where p → □p is false;

Indeed: ~Bf -> ~B (~Bf) (consistency implies non-provability of consistency).

And so this is an aspect of Gödel's theorem or one way of thinking about it. I will be honest with physics and information theory I have found the computation or Turing machine approach more useful.

Gödel's is concerned with the provability notion, Turing was concerned with the computability notion. In fact Gödel missed the Church-thesis, and was very close to it, by its use of what we call now the "primitive recursive functions".

Computability is the only "absolute" notion here (if you are willing to believe in the Church-Turing thesis). provability is a relative notion which depends on the formal system under concern. Yet, there are important relation between provability and computatibility. The main one is that the restricted sigma_1-provability is equivalent with Turing universality. But provability in general is not concerned by this restriction. Simulation and emulation is on the type computation, not of the type proof. A weak system like Robinson arithmetic can emulate (simulate exactly) Peano arithmetic, like I can in principle emulate Einstein's brain, and this without understanding what the simulation of Einstein explains to me. For example Robinson Arithmetic can prove that Peano Arithmetic can prove Robinson's arithmetic consistent, but that cannot convince Robinson Arithmetic.

I has been a while again since I looked at Penrose's approach to these matters. As I recall he leans heavily on the Cantor diagonalization.

The whole of Recursion Theory (Turing, Post, Kleene, ...) and Mathematical logic (Gödel, ...) relies on diagonalisation. It is used all the times everywhere. Most are constructive, some are not constrtuctive, and in theoretical AI, like in theoretical theology, most are necessarily (provably) not constructive.

Turing's demonstration of no universal Turing machine

Turing on the countrary proved the existence of a universal machine (in math, and later in arithmetic). Then he begun to build one. But the war arrived and he build only a decoder machine for fighting the Nazis ... Babbage can arguably be considered as the first one understanding that "universality" notion, but Turing is the first to make that explicit and precise.

and the Gödel first theorem on predicates enumerating their Gödel numbers are a form of diagonalization.

Well, once you can enumerate things (constructively or not like with Cantor), you can diagonalize the enumeration (constructively or not ). I can come back on this. few people know that incompleteness is a two lines consequence from Church-Turing thesis, by a simple constructive diagonalization. I have already explain this about 5 times on this list, but it is so short and elegant that I might not resist coming back to this. It is the starting point of theoretical computer science.

What does concern me is that these mathematics involve infinite systems, and with physics we can only measure finite quantities.

The universal machine is a finite object. The "infinite tape" was a pedagogical error. It helps the engineer, but confuse the philosopher. Once you have an enumeration of all semi-computable functions (of one argument) f_1, f_2, f_3, .... , a universal machine/number is the machine/number u such that f_u(x,y) = f_x(y). U is called a computer (although that term is sometimes only for the physical implementation of it), x is called the program, and y is the data. (x,y) is supposed to be one number, coding the list of the two number x and y. You can code (x,y) by 2^x times 3^y for example.

I has been a thought that somehow physical systems might in effect approximate Univeral TMs

Not approximate, but emulate them exactly. That is what your laptop is doing right now. Well, you can say "approximate" in the sense that you could run out of memory, but the human can run out of memory too and in that case they will use the wall of the cavern, or a magnetic disk .... The infinite tape does not need to be actually infinite, but need to extensible. It is not thought as a part of the machine, which is really the universal finite code. Wolfram did organize a challenge of finding the simplest Universal Turing machine, for example. It is the smallest (if possible) number u such that u applied on the Turing machine x, with input y, will mimic x behavior on y. Mechanism leads indeed to a finitism. We need to assume the (finite) natural numbers, and nothing else. But the machine's internal phenomenology will needs all the infinities available ... in the mind.

or Gödel's theorem in a truncated or finite manner. This might be at the intersection of P vs NP and prvability vs undecidability. I am though not versed enough in these matters to push on with it.

It is above the P/NP problem, which concerns efficiency, not the existence, or not, of some computations.

Best,

Bruno

LC

a proposition about an math system is true, but is not necessarily or provably true.

Well the Löbian systems are completely captured by G, for the provable statement on provability, and G* for the true statement on provability.

G has axioms

B(p -> q) -> (Bp -> Bq)
Bp -> BBp  (redundant, follows from Löb).
B(Bp -> p) -> Bp (Löb)

With the rule of modus ponens and necessitation a/Ba.

G* has as axioms all theorem of G, +
Bp -> p

But lost the necessitation rule. I let you show that G* is inconsistent if you add the necessitation rule.

If that is false then ⌐□p → ⌐p is false or ◊⌐p → ⌐p is false. We can then only say that p being true is "possible." This seems to have some connection with quantum measurement and the update on knowledge of a system with prior probabilities = plausible estimates.

I wrote a paper involving Gödel's theorem, but it was not that well received. I will take a look at the paper on the web. I have a certain cautionary issue with these sorts of issues. I have learned lots of physicists take some umbrage with it.

Penrose has repeated old errors in the field, already well addressed in the literature. That a great mathematician could be wrong on Gödel wary a bit the physicists. I decided to do mathematics and mathematical logic to masteries metamathematics, as it solved already many problem I was interested in in biology and genetics. I can give you reference on this. Gödel's theorem is only a first big theorem in a very rich field, and it has important relation with computer science, and, by consequence, in the computationalist approach of the mind-body problem.

Bruno

LC