On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 11:16:07 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com
wrote:

> On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 9:47:37 PM UTC, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On 30/11/2017 10:59 pm, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 11:42:51 AM UTC, Bruce wrote:

>>>                 Collapse would be non-linear and non-unitary --
>>> intrinsically non-reversible. This is not necessarily a problem since there
>>> are plenty of non-linearities in physics. It has nothing to do with hidden
>>> variables.
>>>
>>> *Why would it be non linear? Brent claimed (on page 1)*
>>>

>>> Page 1 of what?
>>>

>> *On Google it's organized as pages, now up to page 15. Go to top of
>> thread and read second message by Brent. AG *
>>

>>> * that if the QM could be made deterministic, say by a DE that described
>>> collapse, it would imply awful consequences, such as the future determining
>>> the past.*
>>>

>>> No, it wouldn't imply that.
>>>
>>> * Would making QM into a deterministic theory imply an inconsistency in
>>> the postulates of QM? TIA, AG*
>>>

>>> QM in MWI is deterministic. Bohm's theory is deterministic, though
>>> expressly non-local. Determinism is not really an issue. One world theories
>>> are intrinsically random, not deterministic.
>>>

>> *How can MWI be deterministic if it can't tell us what outcome we will
>> observe in this world, or any other? AG*
>>

>> Because MWI says that all outcomes are realized, each in a separate
>> world. Apparent randomness comes about because we don't know which world we
>> will end up in (though we actually end up in all the worlds, so we, or our
>> duplicates, observe all possible outcomes).
>>
>> Bruce

*OK. I wouldn't use "deterministic" to describe that situation, but that's
neither here nor there. More important is Brent's reply to my question
which started this discussion thread. He stated that a deterministic ONE
WORLD version of QM would have dire effects, such as the future influencing
the past. His exact words are in the 2nd message in this discussion. You
don't seem to share this view. I know that Bohm developed a deterministic
version of QM which is expressly non-local and not covariant. I don't think
it's what Brent was referring to. Also, I noticed that Bruno, our resident
enthusiast of arithmetic as the solution to all enigmas, stated that
Weinberg showed that a non-linear SWE to explain collapse would imply that
the laws of thermodynamics are flawed. Is this your understanding? TIA, AG*