On 13 Dec 2017, at 04:27, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 13/12/2017 11:41 am, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:52:12 PM UTC, Bruce wrote:
On 13/12/2017 9:45 am, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:14:01 PM UTC, Bruce wrote:

So Schrödinger's cat was once a coherent state of a cat in a box, and
the splitting occurs with the decay of a nucleus;

Unlike the double slit experiment, which can only be understood with interference and the model that the electron wave, say, goes through both slits, the nuclear decay is a BINARY event, very roughly like a coin toss where there is no interference. Generalizing interference to every quantum state is where Schrodinger went wrong. The cat, which shares or inherits the wf from the radioactive decay, is never in both Alive and Dead states simultaneously. AG

In the double slit, the paths through the two slits remain coherent, so they can interfere when they come together. In the case of nuclear decay, the coherence is lost immediately, so the nucleus does not interfere with the decay products.

Bruce

So you agree or disagree with my conclusion; namely, the cat is never in a superposition of states? That is, no situation where cat is Alive and Dead simultaneously. I think you disagree and think the nuclear state is superposed with interference existing. AG

The superposition of |live + dead> or |live - dead> does not exist in any single world since such states are not stable against decoherence. But if you take the pedantic view of the many worlds of MWI, the superposition of live and dead cats, together with everything entangled with them, exists for ever in the multiverse. What good that does anyone, I fail to understand.

Searching the good and searching the truth might be different thing, unless you add the quite platonic axiom that truth is good, which I hope, but that is hardly usable in a reasoning.

Bruno

Bruce