I see the issue as similar to chaos theory or statistical mechanics. The
superposition of states in a system shifts to entanglements with states in
an apparatus, which evolve through many states. We can think of the
superposition of photons passing through a double slit, where if we place
spin states at one slit we convert that superposition into the entanglement
with spins. If we then have a general needle state this entanglement is
spread into more states which is associated with the einselected state of a
classical outcome. This evolution is a sort of diffusion that because of
its complexity is extremely difficult to track. As a result we have
decoherent sets that are in effect coarse grained sets of states.

Even if an observer could observe all possible states of the apparatus or
the general needle state, this leads to the difficulty that the observer
herself is also a complex of quantum states. This means that a fine grained
description may be simply impossible. This leads to a situation where a set
of quantum states are encoding quantum states, which can't be completely
described in a closed system. Measurements tend to involve a classical
system that in some ways is an open system, not closed. There is a sort of
Universal Turing Machine or Godel numbering involved with attempting to
describe this in a completely axiomatic manner.

I was going to write more on this, but I am very tied up with other work.
This is usually a very active time of the year.

Cheers LC