On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 6:46:07 PM UTC-6, Russell Standish wrote:

> Lying is not the only explanation for these witness statements. What
> these witnesses saw may well have explanations other than ET. One of
> my favourites, though obviously rather implausible, is that they are
> time travellers of some future type of human checking us out. More
> likely it is some form of collective hallucination, though.

The time traveler interpretation is extremely implausible. Time travel
would force us to revise much of our foundational understanding of physics.
Again I can't prove this, though I will say I think quantum gravitation
will remove solutions to the Einstein field equation that involve closed
timelike curves. Such solutions that permit time travel and travel faster
than light violate the Hawking-Penrose energy conditions that the stress
energy tensor obeys T^{00} ≥ 0.How this happens is similar to Dirac's
relativistic QM solution that filled the negative energy momentum like cone
with vacuum states. These as occupied states were not directly accessible
as real particle states. Of course we can't completely rule out some deeper
foundation of physics that circumvents this. However, if so any applied
physics or technology that employs this would be enormously more advanced
than anything we can remotely even imagine. I would argue that makes this
far more unlikely.

Carl Jung wrote a book on the issue of UFOs. He cited this as an instance
of how our symbolic representations are shifting. We have symbols that are
more based on science, and correspondingly this he argues is working it way
into our mythic narratives. We seem to be seeing something of this sort
with quasi-religious ideas of ancient alien astronauts, UFO cults and even
the huge interest in superheros. Superheros are serving a rule similar to
the pantheon in polytheistic religions of the past. This has a lot to do
with what is occurring in the inner space of human consciousness far more
than anything with outerspace.

LC