On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 8:59:05 AM UTC-7, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 3:54:32 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM, <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ​> ​
>>>
>>> https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/satellites-show-sea-level-rise-is-accelerating/
>>>
>>> <https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/satellites-show-sea-level-rise-is-accelerating/>
>>>
>>> Compare with John Clark's claim of rise of one inch per decade. AG
>>>

>> OK
>> ​
>> lets compare, it says what we now for sure is that has been "3 inches of
>> sea level rise in the past quarter century". They made a guess that it
>> would accelerate so sea level would be "2 feet higher by the end of the
>> century", well maybe so, but that would still make for a pretty dull
>> disaster movie. Sure
>> ​it​
>>  might cause difficulties but on a list of world problems it wouldn't
>> even make the top ten
>> ​.​
>> I mean its not as if this sort of thing was unprecedented, the sea has
>> risen 400 *FEET* since the peak of the last ice age 20,000 years ago
>> ​
>> and during that time the human race not only survived it thrived.
>>
>>   ​John K Clark​
>>

> It is not the same disaster as some sci-fi films have portrayed. However,
> it would mean cities such as New York would need sea walls much like
> Holland. Many major cities on the coast, with the exception of Los Angeles,
> would require extensive sea walls much as seen with Holland. Remember that
> while a few feet does not sound like much, given that coasts have small
> slopes, say only a few degrees, a few feet of sea level rise can mean
> hundreds or thousands of feet the ocean encroaches. Pleistocene humans did
> not have sea ports.
>
> LC

*RIght, no sea ports in the Pleistocene era. Of course I knew that and my
question to Clark was entirely rhetorical. Why didn't he know the obvious?
And there are other, possibly dire effects of the **Greenland ice sheet
melting, such as change in the thermohaline current, that is shift of the
Gulf Stream making Britain and Northern Europe effectively an arctic zone.
Ho-hum, nothing to worry about as Florida goes below sea level. AG*