On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

​> ​
> It
> ​[free will] ​
> means a decision process

Like the internal mechanism of a
​ ​
cuckoo clock
​ ​
deciding to send it's little bird out every hour.  But, I hear you say, the
clock didn't make a decision. What is a decision? A choice made of your own
free will. And what is free will? The ability to make a choice.
And round and round we go.

> ​> ​
> leading to action which is not predictable

Like a
​ ​
roulette wheel or a radioactive ato
​m​
.

​> ​
> and is difficult to influence by external motivations,

There is a technical term for a being with that property, its called
"stupid".
​ ​
A beings actions by definition take place in the external world, if the
beings planned actions are not changed by new information about that
external
​world​
 coming to it through its sense organs then
​ ​
that being is stupid.

> ​> ​
> so that it shows consistency of purpose and intelligence in achieving it.

​Like the computer program AlphaGo ​showed 2 months

​ago.

So can a robot have free will? I said it before I'll say it again, tell me
what the hell "free will" is suposed to mean and I'll tell you if a robot
can have free will.

​> ​
> P.S. robots can have it.

​Maybe, it depends on what "it" is.​