From: *Brent Meeker* <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

On 4/22/2018 9:19 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

    It follows from both QM and Comp. If Alice and Bob are
    space-separated, I cannot even makes sense of how you can measure
    correlations, given that once they are separated, whatever result
    they got, will be shared with different Alice and Bob in different
    branch. I am not even sure we can define what could be an action
    at a distance in the quantum formalism. The notion does not even
    makes sense when we assume special relativity. The only reason to
    believe this is the habit to think that there is only one bob and
    one Alice, which makes no sense once separated, unless they are
    correlated with a third observer, but then, again by looking at
    the wave without collapse, there will be no action at a distance.
    The no locality is only an appearance due to the fact that we
    belong to infinities of histories, and cannot known which one we
    are in.

It depends on what you mean by "action at a distance". The theory you are depending on for these pronouncements entails that, on a MW picture, some of the possible worlds have probabilities that go to zero as a result of an interaction at Alice or at Bob. So an interaction at one of them changes the probabilities at the other.

For Bruno, it seems that "non-locality" means "action at a distance", where he interprets that to mean that there is some superluminal transfer of information, by tachyons or some such. And he is quite right to say that there is no such interaction or dynamics in quantum theory. Because if "non-locality" meant some superluminal transfer of information, by particles or something else, then that would be giving a *local* explanation of non-locality, which is a contradiction. So non-locality can never mean "action at a distance", it can only mean that the theory is such that the state is not separable, and changing one end automatically changes the other, just as pushing one side of a billiard ball moves the other side as well. (Ignoring the problems of a relativistic explanation of extended physical objects. This is not a particularly good analogy, but it is the best I can think of at short notice!) In quantum mechanics, there can be no "mechanical" explanation of the non-locality inherent in the non-separable state. That is why we call it "non-locality" rather than "action at a distance".

I acknowledge that there are linguistic problems here, but that is just the nature of quantum mechanics, and we have to live with it. Trying to "explain" this fact further is bound to fail, because there is no deeper explanation.

Bruce