On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> you already said, quite wisely, that if you had correctly used the ZFC
>> > axioms to produce a proof the Goldbach Conjecture was true but then a
>> > computer found a number that violated Goldbach you would place the
>> blame on
>> > the ZFC axioms and not on the laws of physics the computer operates
>> under.
>> > So like me you are saying it is physics and not axioms that is the
>> ultimate
>> > judge
>> ​ t​
>> hat​
>> ​ ​
>> decides what it true and what is not

​> ​

> *That is probably putting a little too much faith in computers, and the
> possibility of bug-free programs.*

In the thought experiment I specifically said numerous computers had made
the calculation and they all agree that there is a huge even number that is
not the sum of 2 primes.

> ​> *​*
>
> *There is a certain amount of​ ​scepticism of the proof of the 4 colour
> theorem, which is only available as an enormous computer generated proof.*

That proof was first demonstrated in 1976 and today I don't think there is
anybody who thinks it is untrue, they just grumble that it doesn't advance
human understanding of why it is true. As far as mathematical rigor is
concerned you have to be far more literal in a computer program than in a
mathematical proof because the computer will not fill in even the simplest
logical gaps and will not tolerate the slightest amount of hand waving.
And anyway, this sort of thing is not limited to computer proofs.

In 2012 Shinichi Mochizuki came up with a proof of the ABC conjecture, but
its 500 pages long and to this day about half of the world's mathematicians
think the proof is valid and the other half  think  it is not.  Recently
the fans of it held a workshop to streamline the proof, but its still 400
pages long. To read and understand this thing you still need to have a
boiling water IQ and you have to be prepared to devote the better part of a
decade studying it. Its a gamble, after devoting years of your life to it
when you could have been doing other things you may decide that Mochizuki's
proof is all bullshit, or maybe you'll decide its a work of genius. To a
lesser degree this happened with Andrew Wiles 's proof of Fermat's Last
Theorem , it took about a year for the mathematical community  to decide
that Wiles got it right. It's things like this that make me think that
maybe P really is equal to NP.

I think most people intuitively feel that P is not equal to NP because that
would sorta imply what we see in our everyday life, its harder to write a
book than to read a book, its harder to write a symphony than to listen to
one and appreciate its beauty, and it should be harder to discover a new
mathematical proof than it is to follow a step by step argument. But it
seems that that last thing may not be true, if I have a valid proof of
the Riemann Hypothesis but it would take you as much brainpower to
understand it as it would for you to find a proof on your own then there
would be no point in you reading it.

> ​>* ​*
>

> *If the computer came up with a counter example to the Goldbach
> conjecture, and lots of mathematicians independently verified the result by
> hand,*

​By hand? The even number in question probably has about a hundred digits,
so first of all you're going to have to find every prime number less than
that super colossal ​
number by long division and paper and pencil, and then show that no two of
them add up to that number, and then you're going to have to do the same
thing again and again to make sure you haven't made a mistake. And nobody
is EVER going to do that by hand.​

> ​> ​
>
> *what you say would be correct, and people would look to find the error in
> th​e​ ZFC proof*

In the thought experiment I specifically said there was no error in the
proof and the ZFC axioms do indeed imply that Goldbach is true, but the
computers disagree.

> ​>* ​*
> *or reject the ZFC axiom.*

So like me, and to my surprise like Bruno, if the ZFC axioms or ANY set of
axioms say one thing but a computer whose ultimate operating system is the
very laws of physics say the opposite then you reject the axioms and
believe the physics.

​John K Clark​