On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

*>  You were changing the mathematical definition of computations given
> independently by Church, Post, Turing, Markov ,*

I don't know what definition you're referring to  but if it doesn't have
something about actually obtaining an answer then its idiotic, but neither
Church, Post, Turing nor Markov were idiots.

> *​> ​which are not dependent of any assumption in physics, to a definition*

​Definition​

​be damned! I don't want a definition I want an answer, I want an answer to
the question "How much is 2+2?" and there is absolutely positively no way
to obtain that answer without using matter that obeys the laws of physics.
  ​

*​> ​You are right. A definition cannot do a calculation. Only a
> machine/number/combinator can do that. But there are plenty of such
> entities in arithmetic.*

Well for gods sake stop wasting your time on this list and tell INTEL about
this revolutionary new discovery and then watch as the world is transformed
beyond recognition overnight!!

*​> ​My belief are private.*

Mine aren't but then I am in a different situation than you,  I am not
ashamed by my philosophical beliefs.

> ​>> ​
>> you are saying you don't think matter soul and shape are separate things,
>

> ​>* ​*
> *?*

*​!​ *

> ​>> ​
>> they can not be separated, you think secondary matter is the only sort of
>> matter that there is. And that would make your beliefs far more matter
>> orientated than mine because although I don't believe in the soul  I  do
>> believe in shape ,  although I prefer to say information .  I think
>> information and matter, although related, are 2 different things and I
>> think Leibniz was right, matter that has not been organized by information
>> is just a chaotic high entropy lump that can’t produce work or make
>> calculations or do anything else.
>

> ​> ​
> *No problem here.*

Leibniz, who invented the term, said all "primary matter" brought to the
table was continuity, soul and shape were separate things. So if you mix in
soul and shape with "primary matter" you end up with "secondary matter" and
that's the stuff that we observe and that can actually do things. You have
made no secret in showing your contempt for "primary matter", but if it
doesn't exist that means soul and shape can not be separated from matter,
so "secondary matter" is the only type of matter there is. And that is why
I say it would make you more matter orientated than I am. And that is also
why I said you don't know what "primary matter" means.

​>> ​
>> ​I'm not joking I'm dead serious!! Ever time I say nothing can be
>> calculated without matter that obeys the laws of physics and even then only
>> if that matter is in the form of a Turing Machine you point to some book or
>> paper as a counterexample,
>

> *​>​Of course not. I point to some book and paper which provides a
> counter-example.*

​LIKE HELL IT DOES! The damn book can't calculate 2+2 nor can the book tell
me the answer to the question "How much is​

​2+2?" without using matter that obeys the laws of physics​

​> ​
> *You fake to see so to make your joke*

​It's not funny and I'm not joking.

> ​>
> we both know that a book is not a machine.

Exactly, a book is not a machine. And only a machine of the general type
described by Turing can make a calculation.

> ​> ​
> arithmetic contains both the description of the machine, and the machine
> itself. It contains both the description of the computation, and the
> computations themselves.

And yet without the help of physics arithmetic is totally unable to answer
the question "How much is 2+2?". So like the word "God" the word
"computation" has a meaning in the Brunospeak language that is unrelated to
the English meaning of the word, but I don't know what those meanings are
because only one person on the planet is fluent in Brunospeak and I'm not
him

> ​>> ​
>> it would be easy to prove me wrong; just calculate 2+2, you are free to
>> use the contents of that paper you were talking about or any other paper or
>> anything else, the only restrictions I place is that you are not allowed to
>> use matter or energy or to increase entropy when you perform the
>> calculation, other than that anything goes. If you successfully accomplish
>> my little task I will publicly declare that I have been wrong all these
>> years and you have been totally right and is a genius. So what do you say,
>> do you accept my challenge?
>

> *​> ​You ask me again something impossible.*

Obviously, but ask yourself a question "Exactly why is it ​impossible?".
Because physics can do something that mathematics can't. You may have
reasons why physics can do something that mathematics can't and they may be
good reasons or they may be bad reasons it really doesn't matter because
for whatever reason the undeniable FACT remains physics can do something
that mathematics can't. Of course not just any old arrangement of matter
can perform calculations, Turing's genius was in showing us exactly what
sort of matter arrangements can make calculations and what sort can't.
 ​

> ​> ​
> *But primary matter leads to contradiction​ [...]​*

I think you should stop talking about "primary matter" until you learn what
the phrase means. You keep telling me to read Plato, well I'm telling you
to read Leibniz, he is after all the guy who invented the term.
​

> ​>>​
>> why did you say "I would believe the computer over a proof in ZF”?
>

> ​> ​
> *Because a computer is an incarnation of a much simpler theory that ZF.*

A computer isn't the incarnation of any theory, it's just a lump of matter
that obeys the laws of physics.

​>> ​
>> If not, if you still stand by it, then that explains why you would not
>> say that
>> ​t​
>> he ZFC axioms are still consistent and Goldbach is still true despite the
>> even number the computer found, you would take the side of the computer
>

> *​> ​How would I know that there was no bug in the computer?*

Because all the computer on the planet repeated the calculation and got the
same answer, or for some other reason it doesn't matter because this is a
thought experiment and the premise is there is no error in the ZFC based
proof that says a number with certain properties can not exist and there is
no error in a computer that produce a number that has those exact same
properties, the question is "which one do you believe?". Neither of us said
we'd believe the axioms over the computer because neither of us is insane.

> ​>* ​*
> *if ZFC gives a not too long proof that I can understand, I will believe
> more ZF than the computer.*

Well..., I didn't see that coming,.... I stand corrected.

> ​> ​
> *I believe only things that I can prove to myself.*

How  can you prove an axiom is true? You can't, but you can prove that a
axiom is false. If the logic of the proof is correct but the results are
wrong then one or more of the axioms you started with must be bad.

*​> ​I doubt less elementary arithmetic than any equation in physics,*

You wouldn't know any elementary arithmetic or anything else without matter
that obeys the laws of physics.

> ​>​
>> Define “real”, then.

 I can't until you define "define". Then define "define "define"". Then
define "define "define "define""". Then ...

>>> ​>>​
>>> ​*You cannot use that word*
>>> ​ [real]​
>>> .
>>

>> ​>> ​
>> ​Yes I can because I precisely define it,
>
> ​> ​
> *By invoking your God.*

The trouble with Brunospeak is the meaning of words change on a daily
basis, I said a real Turing machine is one that can make a calculation, so
today "God" is anything that can answer the question "How much is 2+2?",
but nobody knows what the ASCII string G-O-D will mean tomorrow in
 Brunospeak.

> ​>> ​
>> I'm not confused by the difference between a 747 and a picture of a 747,
>> one can fly me to Tokyo and one can't.
>

> ​> *​*
> *Assuming “real” 747. But that beg the question entirely.*

​I have no idea what that means.​

 ​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> * ​And you confuse a computations with its description too.*
>>
>> ​
>> ​>> ​
>> So at least you admit there is a difference between those two things.
>
> ​>* ​*
> *I insist on that difference since the start.*

So the description of how computations work that Turing gave us in his
famous 1936 paper was not itself a computation, and that is why we put
microprocessors and not copies of Turing's paper inside computers.
​​

> ​>> ​
>> a computation can make a computation but a description of a computation
>> can not.
>

> ​> *​*
> *That is entirely correct. Nobody ever said that a description of a
> computation can do a computation. You need a universal machinery.*

​You need matter that obey the laws of physics organized in the way Turing
described in 1936.   ​

> ​>*​*
> *What you seem to ignore is that the arithmetical reality is such a
> universal machinery,*

 Stop telling me that and *SHOW ME*! Add 2+2 without using matter or energy
or increasing entropy.

John K Clark