> On 23 May 2018, at 10:16, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> From: <agrayson2...@gmail.com <mailto:agrayson2...@gmail.com>
>> On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 7:09:31 AM UTC, Bruce wrote:
>> From: <agrays...@gmail.com <>>
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 4:44:30 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

>>> That's why I wrote "in cases of interest".  If it evolves to 0/100 via the
>>> SWE no problem...no interest either.
>>>
>>> Why no interest? Haven't I described the case of a system evolving
>>> according to the SWE, then a measurement occurring, and throughout all the
>>> information is residing in THIS world.
>>
>> Your thought experiment does not correspond to unitary quantum evolution.
>>
>> Why not? Would different intermediate values correspond to unitary quantum
>> evolution? AG
>
> You describe the evolution of a quantum state to a different state -- you are
> not describing a measurement operation. If you measure a different state, you
> can expect different results.
>

>>> Why would information be lost to some other world simply because one value
>>> of the pair of probabilities equals 0?
>>
>> If one of the probabilities is zero, it means that the wave function has no
>> corresponding component. If the only other part of the wave function has
>> probability 100%, then the outcome is certain, and no information can reside
>> anywhere else.
>>
>> I was trying to describe a situation where the wf collapses, in terms of
>> probability, to a delta function, where a single outcome is achieved with
>> 100% probability, and the other does not, so it has probability of 0. AG
>
> That is a measurement on a different state, where one would expect different
> results.
>
>>> IOW, the example is meant to illustrate the fallacy of claiming some
>>> information is lost when the measurement occurs, and now resides in some
>>> inaccessible other world. In decoherence, isn't all the lost information
>>> lost in THIS world, to the environment, like a heat bath? Isn't decoherence
>>> therefore in conflict with the MWI? AG
>>
>> No. Decoherence occurs independently for each branch of the wave function,
>> so information is disseminated into the environment in all branches of the
>> wave function independently.
>>
>> OK, but how does one jump to the assumption of other worlds? Doesn't each
>> "branch" exist in this world? AG
>
> Initially yes. But decoherence diagonalizes the density matrix FAPP, so the
> other branches become unreachable. That is what one means by separate worlds.

Indeed.

And that is what makes MW irreversible FAPP, but reversible in principle, and
CI irreversible “absolutely”.

But CI is really just QM + the assumption that QM does not apply to the
observer (with no success telling us clearly what is an observer)..

Bohm DeBroglie is the MW, + a complicated machinery of epicycles (“particles”)
obeying a physical potential capable of acting FTL to guide the particles in
one branche. It does not really work in special and general relativity,
although some would debate the point, and partial success are not totally
absent, just to be honest. Bohm, like Non-mechanism makes the wave, or
arithmetic, full of zombies.

Bruno