On 5/27/2018 1:22 AM, smitra wrote:
This is a physical version of what Bruno has been talking about on this list.

With "strong AI" I mean that any simulation of a person generates the mind of that person, and the subjective state of that person is independent of how that simulation is performed. So, what matters is if certain computations are performed correctly, not on how those computations are performed.

This is actually ambiguous.  First, computation is an execution of a function: so being "the same function" can only be defined if all possible inputs are defined; which is excessive.  Can the output be the same only for some small subset of inputs?...for only one? Second, what does it mean for the same function to be computed differently...does it mean the same output of the human body given the input of the whole environment?...or does it mean the same input-output of the amgydala, the visual cortex, the cerebrum, the cereberal cortex, the frontal lobe, parietal lobe,....  Exactly where is input boundary and the output boundary.

I don't think such a boundary can make sense.  I think the "mind" only exists in the context of a world, a world which is effectively physical.

While this doesn't seem to have anything to do with quantum mechanics, the MWI etc., it actually implies the MWI. This follows from the assumption that whatever subjective experience is generated by the simulation is independent of the implementation of the physical device performing the simulation. The time evolution operator defines a mapping from the past state of the device to the future state. This implies that the simulation of a person in a certain state is also a scrambled version of the simulation of that person at some time in the future or the past. Since by implementation Independence that scrambling should not affect the subjective experience, one has to conclude that the consciousness of the person at any time in the future and the past is also generated by the simulation.

If we start running a simulation at t = 0 s and the simulation is programmed to shut down at t = 1000 s, then at any time, the running of the simulation generates the consciousness of the simulated person at all times between t = 0 and t = 1000. The computer plus the environment it is in contains all the information about the past and present, including how the computer was powered on, the simulation was started and how the simulation will end etc. This then contains all the information about the person between t = 0  and t = 1000, but not before or after this time period.

The next step is to consider running a simulation that depends on the outcome of a spin measurement in the real world. We polarize a spin the positive x-direction and measure the z-component, feed the result of the measurement in the simulation and that then affects the simulation, the simulated person will be made aware of something that is different depending on the outcome of the measurement.

The moment this experiment has been set up and is ready to go, the time evolution of the entire system that includes the experimental set up., the computer and everything else that is of relevance, is fixed. But this time evolution will bring the system into a superposition of the two experimental outcomes of the measurements and its consequences for the simulation.

This implies a completely deterministic evolution.  In that case it is not clear how the Born rule is implemented in the simulation.

It then seems to be a matter of belief in the MWI whether or not one should believe if both possibilities happen or if only one of them is going to be real. But if we accept strong AI, then we have to accept that the physical state of the system before the measurement is performed, will also generated the consciousness of the person after the measurement. Because the information present in the physical state before the measurement contains both branches, it generates the consciousness of the two versions of the person in both branches.

But of course the simulation can simply stop all the branches but one.

Brent

Finally, one can argue that the conclusion applies to real persons that are not simulated by computers, because the brain computes us, and in the above argument it doesn't matter if you use a computer or a biological brain. In fact one needs to appeal to the entire environment containing the computer, and to get to a rigorous argument this has to be taken as large as the size of the lightcone starting from the moment the simulation starts.

Saibal