> [...]
>>> simultaneously alive and dead. It's like a simple vector in the plane --
>>> those pointy things -- which can be written as the sum of a horizontal and
>>> vertical vectors (or a non orthogonal basis). If it can be written as a
>>> sum, it can be interpreted as manifesting both vectors in the sum
>>> simultaneously. So, if you want to write                     state vectors
>>> to include entanglements with macro systems, you will get cats that are
>>> alive and dead simultaneously, and in the decoherence case, you'll ger
>>> copies of this universe, inclusive of copies of observers, etc. That was
>>> Schrodinger's point; the fallacy of entangling quantum and macro states in
>>> one wf. AG
>>
>> Yes, Schrödinger's original intention with the cat scenario was to provide a
>> reductio ad absurdum: the conclusion of cats being simultaneously alive and
>> dead was patently absurd. In later life Schrödinger regretted introducing
>> his wave equation. His idea had been to formulate quantum phenomena in terms
>> of something easily visulizable in a classical way, such as wave motion.
>> This was as an antidote to what many saw as the increasing obscurantism of
>> Bohr and the Copenhagen school. However, he was disappointed by the results,
>> and by the fact that his wave equation became the standard way of thinking
>> about quantum processes. Schrödinger was undoubtedly aware that there were
>> other ways of doing quantum calculations than in terms of his wave equation;
>> Heisenberg matrix mechanics was already available, then there is Schwinger's
>> mathematical approach, path integral approaches, and so on. None of which
>> need mention a wave or a wave equation. They all give the same results for
>> quantum probabilities so since they were equivalent in this sense, they
>> were, according to the metaphysics of the time, all considered to be the
>> same theory.
>>
>> But it is doubtful if they are all actually the same theory, since they seem
>> to imply different ontologies. Schrödinger's wave mechanics has led to the
>> reification of the wave function itself, and the result is many worlds
>> theory. But if you don't have a wave equation and work only with matrices,
>> there is no reason to postulate any multiplicity of worlds. The model that
>> you use for calculations in the theory implies an ontology, and not all
>> implied ontologies are the same, or even equally useful. People are all to
>> ready to believe that the simplest ontology of their model is what is
>> "really real". But they are generally mistaken, as the negative induction of
>> scientific realism points out.
>>
>> Bruce
>
> Well said.  Bohmian QM also gave the same answers as CI, but has a different
> ontology and is deterministic.  It's randomness comes from ignorance of the
> initial state.  CI postulates intrinsic randomness.  MWI is deterministic but
> postulates ignorance of where you'll end up.  QBism assumes personal

Bohmian QM is a different theory, it is QM-without collapse, but with
metaphysical particles inference non locally by wave still representing the
“other worlds”.

All formulation of QM without collapse leads to the same multiverse, but some
adds selection principles, for reason of personal state, and usually, not in
way which would make any experimental difference, so that is bad metaphysics,
Imo.

Bruno