From: <agrayson2...@gmail.com <mailto:agrayson2...@gmail.com>>

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 12:55:13 PM UTC, Bruce wrote:
The Schrödinger equation merely gives the time evolution of the system. To define the problem you have to specify a wave function. It is in the expansion of this wave function in terms of a set of possible eigenvalues that the preferred basis problem arises. So it is not really down to the SE itself, it is a matter for the wave function. Each expansion basis defines a set of worlds, and all bases give different worlds.
*
If we measure E, aren't we defacto measuring p, since the two observables are related by a simple mathematical expression? Yet you assert they represent different worlds. Is this because the measuring apparatus differs if the observable are different? AG
*

Measuring E or p can be related, as for a photon, or unrelated, as for a measurement of the energy levels of a molecule. But in either case, there are an infinite number of possible bases in which to express the energy or momentum of a state. These are the different worlds to which I am referring -- the difference between an energy or a momentum measurement is not relevant in this context.

That is correct, but the choice of the basis don’t change the relative “proportion of histories”.

The choice of basis makes all the difference in the world. Now that we understand decoherence, the only bases that are useful are those that are robust against environmental decoherence. That is why we don't see superpositions of live and dead cats -- that superposition base is not robust.

*You seem to be regressing, or shall we say relapsing into the fallacy. ISTM you have previously acknowledged that we don't see superpositions of live and dead cats because of the fallacy of including macro entities in a superposition -- which is what Edwin was trying to warn us against. Nothing to do about robustness against environmental decoherence, which assumes an actual superposition exists for some short duration. CMIIAW. AG*

Are you trolling? Who claimed that having macrosopic entities in a superposition was a fallacy? Such superpositions are generally very short lived because of decoherence, but they can certainly be formed. The basis which would described such macrosopic superpositions is not robust against decoherence -- which is all that I have ever claimed.

Bruce