On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 07:20:10AM -0500, Jason Resch wrote:

> > 6. Most of all, theories of everything that assume a reality containing
> > all possible observers and observations lead directly to laws/postulates of
> > quantum mechanics (see Russell Standish's Theory of Nothing
> > <http://www.hpcoders.com.au/theory-of-nothing.pdf>, Chapter 7 and
> > Appendix D).
> >

> > Unfortunately, Russell's attempt to derive quantum mechanics from the
> > plenum of all possible bit strings failed at the first step. So you don't
> > have much support from this.
> >

> I would be very interested to see this, do you recall the subject or time
> frame of this discussion?

The subject thread was "Do Observer Moments form a Vecor Space?". The
misspelling of Vector might help find the thread.

Actually, "failing at the first step" was not my recollection of the
discussion. Bruce had some important critiques, the most important of
which is that the linear span of projected states L(ψₐ) that is used
for defining the inner product (D.9) is, well, as arbitrary as the
originally chosen observable A.

My first cut at an answer to this tried to identify the everything
with the origin of the vector space - which had a nice property that
a complex field was required in order for some non-everything states
not to collapse to the origin. However, that approach ultimately ran
into a problem with non-orthonormalisability of the basis states. So I
tried an alternate approach with the everything being a primitive
direction in the vector space, and all subsets of the everything being
orthogonal to it. This had some very nice properties, including the
subset measure being given by the square of the vector norm, and that
the vector space is a vector (or spectral) measure, the most general
kind of measure there is. But lost was the nice requirement for the
field to be complex, which was always a bit of a problem with the
original derivation.

I've been meaning to get this in publishable form, but time and other
commitments have gotten in my way.

In the meantime, Bruce thought he had a proof this was impossible to
do (ie a vector space representation of the powerset of bitstrings that
gives rise to the Born rule). However, he has yet to present his
proof. My work mentioned above, appears to be a counterexample.

In the meantime, another problem came to my attention from Markus
Mueller (arxiv:1712.0181), where he points out that it is an open
question whether transition probability for process on strings is
naturally Markovian. The latter portion of my proof, in particular
(D.13) is assuming a Markovian process.