On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:24:32 AM UTC-6, scerir wrote:

> [...]
> whenever the system is definitely in one state we can consider it as being
> partly in each of two or more other states. The original state must be
> regarded as the result of a kind of superposition of the two or more new
> states, in a way that cannot be conceived on classical ideas. Any state may
> be considered as the result of a superposition of two or more other states,
> and indeed in an infinite number of ways. Conversely any two or more states
> may be superposed to give a new state... (underlining my emphasis)*
>

> *IMO, he's mistaken. There's no need for the underlined assumption.  If
> anyone here disagrees, please offer your *argument*. TIA, AG*
>

> *Cat got your tongue Brent? Bruce out to lunch? No genuine seekers of
> truth here? What's the rationale for Dirac's claim? I am all ears. AG*
>
> "The non-classical nature of the superposition process is brought out
> clearly if we consider the superposition of two states, *A* and *B*, such
> that there exists an observation which, when made on the system in state
> *A*, is certain to lead to one particular result, *a* say, and when made
> on the system in state *B* is certain to lead to some different result,
> *b* say. What will be the result of the observation when made on the
> system in the superposed state? The answer is that the result will be
> sometimes *a* and sometimes *b*, according to a probability law depending
> on the relative weights of *A* and *B* in the superposition process. It
> will never be different from both *a* and *b*. *The intermediate
> character of the state formed by superposition thus expresses itself
> through the probability of a particular result for an observation being
> intermediate between the corresponding probabilities for the original
> states, not through the result itself being intermediate between the
> corresponding results for the original states. (PAM Dirac, The Principles
> ......, second edition, 1947, page 12 ).*
>

> *IIRC, the above quote is also in the Wiki article. It's not a coherent
> argument; not even an argument but an ASSERTION. Let's raise the level of
> discourse. It says we always get a or b, no intermediate result when the
> system is in a superposition of states A and B. Nothing new here. Key
> question: why does this imply the system is in states A and B
> SIMULTANEOUSLY before the measurement? AG  *
>
> Let us imagine the system is in state A or in state B before measurement.
> Would that be consistent with outcomes of experiments?
>

> *I'm not exactly clear what Dirac means by states A and B. I think he
> means the Up/Dn states of a spin measurement. Generally, If A and B are
> eigenstates of the operator whose observable is being measured, the system
> will remain in those eigenstates after measurement. OTOH, if A or B are
> superpositions of other states, the system will be some eigenstate after
> the measurement, possibly A or B if they are eigenstates of the operator

*I'll check it out. In the meantime, why don't you tell us, in your own
words, why you believe (if you do), that a system in a superposition of
states is interpreted to be in all component states simultaneously, given
the non-uniqueness of bases?  In particular, for a radioactive source, why
do you believe (if you do), that the system is in the Decayed and Undecayed
states simultaneously, prior to measurement, given the non-uniqueness of
bases? Why is this interpretation of the superposition of states a
requirement, or necessity, of quantum theory.  As I have repeatedly stated,
I believe this is the error which has led to much of the nonsense which is
alleged to follow from quantum theory, inclusive of the MWI. TIA, AG*