> On 26 Jul 2018, at 23:37, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 4:59:01 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 26 Jul 2018, at 09:55, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
>> I think this discussion is a waste of time. You can't even understand why a
>> classical wave which extends to infinity along an infinite plane implies FTL,
>
> You are right. I can’t understand that. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
> Wave, in physics, are the paragon of locality. It is a local perturbation
> which “contagiates" its local neighbours.
>
> How can the amplitude get to infinity in all directions along a plane,
> unless, when created, there is instantaneous propagation? AG

That is solved in QM by having only square integral functions, which tends to
zero on infinity.
A classical wave with arbitrary high amplitude is an dubious physical reality.
It belongs to math, where there is no FTL, given that there is no time and
space in mathematics. You just cannot create such a wave in a physical
universe. I would say.

>      |and you bring in collapse at every opportunity, even though I am not
> discussing it in this context.
>

> Were talking between QM. We must decide if we put the collapse axiom or not
> as part of the theory. That’s the key point in all the discussion about the
> nature of the superposition.
>
> That's really another issue, obviously an important issue, but I was not
> discussing it in the context of my critique of superposition. AG

I really don’t see how we can evade that discussion when discussing about the
physical nature, or the ontological nature, of the superposition. For me, only
Everett QM makes sense. Copenhagen would make sense with some reasonable
explanation for the Physical collapse, but nobody finds it, and we know now
that it would entails FTL or non-realism, etc. Without collapse, no
superposition ever disappear, but everything becomes smooth again, except for
the perhaps showing mutiplication of histories and persons, but it is only
shocking, not contradictory, and not as magical than instantaneous action at a
distance.

Bruno