> On 1 Aug 2018, at 20:49, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 8/1/2018 4:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 31 Jul 2018, at 22:02, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>> I was referring to the fact that it was Dewitt who invented the
>>> mulitple-world interpretation.  Everett called it "the relative state"
>>> interpretation, and didn't consider multiple worlds.
>>

>> Everett was asked by its publisher to not use the expression “parallel
>> universes”, "many-worlds”, and said, according to some biographer, that he
>> regretted this. Personally I prefer “relative sate”, but all this just
>> allude to one and the same theory: QM-without-collapse.

>>> Interpreting arithmetical equations as sets of beliefs is already
>>> interpretation.
>>
>> With mechanism, that is the same as your consciousness:
>

> "With mechanism" all things follow since you just made up the term.

I do not understand. Mechanism is simply the idea that our body does not
involve magical things, nor actual infinities.

>> it is an interpretation of the set of arithmetical semi-computable relations
>> implemented by your brain relatively to computations in arithmetic. Adding a
>> universe or a god, other than arithmetic or combinators cannot work, as a
>> universal machine cannot distinguish a physical and an arithmetical reality
>> (except experimentally).
>
> A notable exception.

Yes, that is why we can test mechanism. But it is irrelevant for defending your
point: in the self-duplication, you will feel reconstituted (or not) before you
get the time to test for physicalness or arithmeticalness.

>> You could say that intepretating schroedinger equation as a propagating wave
>> is already an interpretation. In that sense, anything (except consciousness)
>> is an interpretation.
>
> Exactly.

But anything cannot be an interpretation. You need an interpreter first. Well,
there are plenty of interpreters in arithmetic, so that is not a problem for
those who believes that 2+2=4, or KSS = S.

Bruno