On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 6:18 AM <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 10:51:45 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 19 Aug 2018, at 07:34, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> *So your claim is that because the SWE doesn't say anything about
>>> measurements, presumably the wf continues to evolve forever. How does this
>>> imply that all possible eigenvalues must be measured? If not measured, then
>>> what? The wf just continues to evolve forever? But how does this imply that
>>> all eigenvalues must be realized, some would say "measured". IMO, there's
>>> still a huge gap between the SWE  as a mathematical statement, and what you
>>> claim must be measured, or shall we say observed. AG  *

>> *I want to know what's real, what's out there, but with the basic premise
>> of the MWI on very shaky ground IMO, I feel we are on a false path. Just
>> too many Brunos as the result of simple quantum experiments.  If the basic
>> premise had stronger justification, I might change my opinion. AG*
>>

>> Why? If you can agree that 2+2=4 independently of you, then all those
>> many Bruno, and many Grayson in many Missouri already exist independently
>> of you.
>>

> *This doesn't follow, or at least IMO you haven't adequately argued it. I
> believe things exist independent of me because I don't believe in
> solipsism, plus there seems to be strong everyday evidence for a world
> which operates independently from my existence. Your claim is a huge
> stretch, and seems based on whim. For you, dreams are real. Why should they
> be? Sounds like a reincarnation of some Hindu philosophy which was very
> popular in America in the 1960's. AG *

This paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01826.pdf

Walks through and shows directly how the supposition of "all computations"
leads to familiar physical consequences:

• “What I observe seems to be fundamentally nondeterministic; it seems that
that there is irreducible randomness that governs my experience.”

• “But it seems that this randomness is itself subject to simple laws,
which I can write down in concise equations. I can feed these equations
into a computer and use them to predict future observations quite
successfully, even if only probabilistically.”

So it can explain both the appearance of simple (to describe) physical
laws, as well as the seeming non-determinism of outcomes of measurements.

Jason