> With the calici trial, the right things were being done, but then some
> idiot (probably with your mindset) decided to release the virus on the
> mainland anyway. Fortunately, in that case, we dodged a bullet. Not so
> with cane toads, or the bloody rabbits in the first place.

Even before the age of modern biotech, Mao Zedong had a similar idea
with his "Four Pests Campaign":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign

I agree with Russell. I am not morally opposed to such interventions,
but it seems obvious to me that one must proceed with extreme caution
for two reasons: complex systems are notoriously hard to model and the
downside is unbounded. Obviously it is sometimes more wise to take a
risk, but I don't think one should take it until one can at least
estimate it.

In the case of the "Four Pests Campaign", the downside probably
included tens of millions of people dying of starvation.