> On 16 Oct 2018, at 05:29, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 10/15/2018 11:21 AM, smitra wrote:

>>> What puzzles me is this; why would the Founders assume that a system
>>> in a superposition is in all component states simultaneously --
>>> contradicting the intuitive appeal of Einstein realism -- when that
>>> assumption is not used in calculating probabilities (since the
>>> component states are orthogonal)? AG
>>
>> It may look like one can re-interpret QM as being consistent with Einstein
>> realism, but Bell disproved this (if you assume locality). Note also what
>> Bruce said about "simultaneously".
>>
>> My own idea is that we need to think about how to interpret time evolution,
>> instead of making all this fuss about superpositions. Without collapse, the
>> time evolution of a system can be interpreted as a simple change of basis.
>> You still have access to the initial state, at least in theory. But if the
>> system collapses (in the MWI this is then an effective collapse due to you
>> getting entangled with the system), you cannot access the initial state
>> anymore (in practice, you might not have been able to do that anyway).
>>
>> This all suggests to me that we live in a multiverse where each moment of
>> time defines a different universe, memories of the past refer to alternative
>> universes. We need to keep in mind that in experiments we can only ever
>> directly measure the present state.
>
> But what does 'the present state' mean?  The present second?  The present
> milli-second?  "Present" is not a relativistic concept.

I would have said that “present” is the most relativistic concept ever. It
depends on t. (I don’t put an exclamation point to avoid a confusion with the
factorial).

Now, I might agree that “present state of mind”, a bit like “observer moment”
is a rather fuzzy term.

In the logic of the first person, that is, the logic S4Grz (the logic of []p &
p), which is also a logic of subjective time, and which is imposed by
incompleteness, there are topological model where the “present instant” is a
enumerable sequence of interval enclosing each other. The intersection of all
those interval is not an open set, and does not itself belong to the "present
instant”.

Goldblatt, the modal logician who has studied S4Grz, but also the modal logic B
and shown its relation with Quantum logics, which I use to extract quantum
logic from arithmetic self-reference, has also studied a modality related to
4-dimensional Minkowski space-time (the modality is “now and forever”. It shows
it to obey a modality studied by Diodorus, and known as the Dioderean Modality
by the Ancient, and is characteristic axiom is <>[]p -> []<>p, known by modern
logician as 2. S4.2 is the logic S4 + that formula named “2”.

I speculate that X1* (the logic of []p & <>t & p, atomic p obeying p -> []p,
(the modal view of sigma_1 completeness, the restriction to the computable,
computationalism translated into a language that the universal machine can
understand) might hide some interesting modalities, imposing relativistic
geometry on the structure of the present instant.

Bruno

(*) Goldblatt, Robert. Diodorean Modality in Minkowski Space time, Studia
Logica 39 (1980), 219-236.

The other two keys paper (used in an important way in my derivations) are

GOLDBLATT R., 1978, Arithmetical Necessity, Provability and Intuitionistic
Logic, Theoria, Vol 44, pp. 38-46.

For the intutionistic logic of the first person (the first person I)

and,

GOLDBLATT R. I., 1974, Semantic Analysis of Orthologic, Journal of
Philosophical Logic, 3, pp. 19-35.

for the extraction of the (variate) yet orthomodular quantum logics. Here the
fact that “orthomodilarity” is not elementary (definable in first order logic)
comes from the fact that Löb’s formula is itself not elementary.