On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 7:27:12 AM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 1:05:36 AM UTC, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6:21:18 PM UTC-5, agrays...@gmail.com
>> wrote:

>>> *Can you flesh that out? How can complex numbers be weighted and result
>>> in superpositions? AG*
>>>
>>> "Einstein realism" is restored if *retrocausality* (the path futures
>>>>

>>> *I don't believe it. I think it has hugely absurd implications. AG *

>> The paths (histories) in a path integral (sum over histories) formulation
>> have complex numbers assigned to them. (That's their "weights".)
>>
>> http://muchomas.lassp.cornell.edu/8.04/Lecs/lec_FeynmanDiagrams/node3.html
>>
>> The Feynman formulation of Quantum Mechanics builds three central ideas
>> from the de Broglie hypothesis into the computation of quantum amplitudes:
>> the probabilistic aspect of nature, superposition, and the classical limit.
>> This is done by making the following three three postulates:
>>

>>    1. *Events in nature are probabilistic with predictable
>>    probabilities P.*
>>    2. *The probability P for an event to occur is given by the square of
>>    the complex magnitude of a quantum amplitude for the event, Q. The
>> quantum
>>    amplitude Q associated with an event is the sum of the amplitudes [image:
>>    tex2html_wrap_inline1605] associated with every history leading to the
>>    event.*
>>    3. *The quantum amplitude associated with a given history [image:
>>    tex2html_wrap_inline1605] is the product of the amplitudes [image:
>>    tex2html_wrap_inline1609] associated with each fundamental process in the
>>    history.*

>> Postulate (2) specifies how probabilities are to be computed. This item
>> builds the concept of superposition, and thus the possibility of quantum
>> interference, directly into the formulation. Specifying that the
>> probability for an event is given as the magnitude-squared of a sum*
>> made from complex numbers*, allows for negative, positive and
>> intermediate interference effects. This part of the formulation thus builds
>> the description of experiments such as the two-slit experiment directly
>> into the formulation. A *history* is a *sequence* of fundamental
>> processes leading to the the event in question. We now have an explicit
>> formulation for calculating the probabilities for events in terms of the
>> [image:
>> tex2html_wrap_inline1605] , quantum amplitudes for individual histories,
>> which the third postulate will now specify.
>>
>> - pt
>>

> *Thanks for that. I have a few basic questions about Feynman's
> path-integral formulation of QM. Firstly, IIUC, Bruce wrote that Feynman
> initially believed in a particle-only formulation of QM. but later realized
> this was not possible. Is this true or false? Personally, as I wrote above,
> I don't see how a particle-only theory of slit experiments makes any sense.
> [...]

This has been written about by the late Victor J. Stenger, Huw Price, Ken
Wharton, ... and me, of course.

All are some sort of reification of Feynman paths.

There is the zig-zag particle that goes back and forth in time
("eventually"going through both slits). There is the reflective path
integral (paths in one time direction mirrored with paths going in the
opposite time direction), etc.

- pt

- pt