On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 9:03:51 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2018, at 15:02, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 1:41:03 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 26 Nov 2018, at 22:43, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:41:42 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com
>> wrote:

>>> *IMO yes. You asserted the need for an observer. The interference
>>> pattern exists if there are no observers. It's like saying the Moon exists
>>> even if no one ever looks at it, which was the situation throughout most of
>>> the Moon's lifetime. AG *

>>> *Where in Feynman's postulates does he assert or infer no wave packet
>>> reduction? I have to check his postulates, but if he really developed a
>>> particle-only theory, there are no wave packets. AG *

>>> *You're reading much too much into Sums Over Histories (or Relative
>>> Dtates) to reach this conclusion. CMIIAW, but Feynman discovered another
>>> way to calculate probabilities. He didn't, and couldn't explain why we get
>>> one result and not another in, say, a slit experiment. At best he was
>>> neutral as to what happens to the wf at measurement time, since, IIUC, he
>>> has no wf's in his theory. AG*
>>>

>> *I checked the postulates in Feynman's Sums Over Histories (in link
>> provided by Phil) and I see nothing related to waves, as expected, and thus
>> nothing about collapse of anything. *
>>

>> You can derive Schroedinger's equation (even Dirac’s equation) from
>> Feynman’s formulation. This should be intuitively obvious if you read
>> Feynman popular book on the Nature of Light.
>>

> *Not at all obvious. Do you have a link which proves that? AG*
>

> It is common knowledge in quantum field theory. PBS promised to make a
> video on this. I studied this in the book by Feyman and Hibbs (QM and Path
> Integral).
>

> The waves are there.
>>

> *Was that before or after Feynman disavowed his belief that QM can be
> derived totally using particles? AG *
>

> I don’t know.
>

> But yes: the collapse does not make sense in Feynman’s formulation (or it
>> looks even more ad hoc and non covariant). That is a reason to disbelieve
>> in the collapse, but then you get some version of the many-world view
>> (which you dislike apparently).
>>

> *MW is too extravagant to be true, *
>

> Why? Why would be that extravagant?

*MW is the most extravagant theory possible and you just can't see it? Take
your head out of the ground and report back. AG*

> Nature loves to do many things, like the water molecules in the Ocean. In
> this list, most people agree than many things is conceptually simpler than
> one particular thing.

*Except for one little thing; you can't explain the processes by which
these worlds are created! It's really very silly IMO. AG*

> *and moreover, even its advocates like you cannot say what another world
> includes.*
>

> ?

*You said it earlier in slightly different words. You have no idea how
another world is created or what's in it. I think we've departed from any
reality thinking when it comes to MW. AG *

> Schrodinger's equation when the measurement occurs. AG *
>

> ? You might develop a little bit. With the MW, a measurement is only an
> interaction.

*Reliance on rhetoric won't help. AG *