Brent Meeker wrote:

*> Neither does a cesium clock measure the change in strength of 2 large
> gravitational fields.  It measures the difference in gravitational
> potential. *

Same thing, a gravitational field describes the gravitational potential at
every point.

*> **So I compared the change in gravitational potential when moving the
> clock up 1cm to the change in potential when Cavendish's torsion balance
> moved the sensing weights the smallest change in distance he said he could
> measure 0.25mm with the weights 9" (0.23m) from the cannon balls. The ratio
> of these two potentials is the product of three terms: The ratio of masses
> (1.37e25 lbm/348 lbm)  The ratio distances squared (0.23m/6.4e6m)^2. The
> ratio of smallest measurable changes (0.01m/0.00025m).  Work it out
> yourself.*

Brent, Cavendish's torsion balance was only sensitive enough to measure the
Gravitational constant to one part in 100, and even today with the newest
and best torsion balance money can buy you can only get 11.6 parts per
MILLION.

New Torsion Balance
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0431-5.epdf?referrer_access_token=AvVGTXPKzx5IZ2BvbCeXZ9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0PGEE1clqTcXObDifjS0tqXqs3lxGXdPvbEAM8ynqscFj7fcELZiKCXKxoMnqb4-xBubiNDE73FY1mUm1mWsbpfug1i5cdw_J3iXDOJ6CG_hQg59N-6UoqggryzeBZ1jILTd2UVJhLbcIpBoaPFTFLJXW65I-Y-nAHw_1_tws_V9pImRR24QlUj8zMpiN3wmRcARzfzszmxgsUFN-4wm9nmteg2BM7LRMlz5O1FuE0_ehqjn0w0YyWray5ZATt04iM%3D&tracking_referrer=physicsworld.com>

To measure the difference in Earth's gravity at 2 points one centimeter
higher from the surface than the other you'd need to do better than 3 parts
per BILLION. This new clock can do that, 3,900 times better than the best
modern torsion balance.

John K Clark