Brent Meeker wrote:

> * finding the value of G depends on scaling the result by that ratio of
> masses (1.37e25 lbm/348 lbm). *

The mass of the Earth played no part in Cavendish's determination of G
because he was measuring gravitational attraction in a direction that
was parallel
to the Earth's surface.

> * The way you are looking at consider how far you would have to move the
> cesium clock from the surface of the 348lbm cannon ball in order to detect
> the change in gravitational time dilation affecting the clock. *

OK lets look at it like that, the new clock can detect the difference in
time dilation between 1g and 1.000000003g, so I'm sure it could detect the
time dilation caused by a 348 pound mass a foot or so away. But .000000003g
is so weak a force it would not have caused Cavendish's torsion balance to
move at all, air resistance and the rigidity of the wire holding it up
would have prevented it.

> *> It's the number I cited, far bigger than the 0.25mm Cavendish cited as
> the limit of his measurement.*

There is no way Cavendish could have placed the centers of two 248 pound
lead balls 0.25mm apart, lead just isn't that dense.

John K Clark