> On 13 Dec 2018, at 00:57, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 12/12/2018 3:19 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 10 Dec 2018, at 20:26, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>> I think Hamkins could say the same thing in French.  His example of the
>>> continuum hypothesis just says that by adding as axioms different
>>> undecidable propositions we get different sets of theorems.  He doesn't use
>>> the word "truth" and I think with good reason.  Theorems in mathematics
>>> aren't "true" in any normal sense of the word.  What is true is that the
>>> axioms imply the theorem...given the rules of inference.
>>
>> By incompleteness truth is bigger than what *any* consistent can prove. Of
>> course you can say that the meaning of
>>
>>       [Exyz(x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = 33) v ~ (Exyz(x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = 33))
>>
>> Is true because it is an substitution instance of the tautology A v ~A.
>
> Which is exactly what I'd say; and is the only way that you can know it is
> true.

Believe. Not true. But with the numbers, unlike with sets, most people believe
this.

>> But you can also reflect on this, and believe it is true, because either
>> such numbers do exist, or they don’t.
>
> The phrase following "because" is just rephrasing A v ~A.

In the frame of the numbers. We do intuit well the notion of standard natural
numbers. There is no equivalent notion for sets, real numbers, etc. The
intuition is equivalent with the idea that a machine stop or does not stop.

>> But "Exyz(x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = 33) “ is an open problem. Such open problem
>> would not make sense if you define truth by proof.
>
> Many mathematicians would say you have discovered it.

The problem or the numbers?

We do discover problem, indeed. That is why it cannot be fictionalism.

>   But you could only discover it by finding a proof  I don't define truth by
> proof.  You can prove what is false just by choice of axioms.  So having a
> proof doesn't prove the conclusion is true;

OK.

> it only shows that it is true that the conclusion follows from the premises.

But that is not truth, that is belief. True is when the belief fits with (some
intended) reality.

>> Recently I have proven that TOT (the set of Gödel numbers of the codes of
>> the total computable function is not recursively enumerable. That proofs
>> would have no meaning if truth = proof. Intuitionism is recovered in
>> Mechanism as the particular first person solipsistic view ([]p & p, S4Grz1).
>
> Many mathematicians would say you have discovered it.  But you could only
> discover it by finding a proof.

Not at all. Mathematicians “knows” (believes) in conjecture well before they
find proof. Intuition always precedes the finding of the proofs. Mathematicians
reason semantically. Proofs are a mean of sharing intuition, but the intuition
comes from experience and life. Like reality precedes brain.

>> In mathematical logic, we study since long the difference between proof and
>> truth (satisfied by a reality).
>
> Yes, you create a whole theology around not all truths are provable.  But you
> ignore that what is false is also provable.  Provable is only relative to
> axioms.

I make my theory clear. (Kxy = x; Sxyz = xz(yz), elementary arithmetic). False
is not provable in that theory.

Of course, I can only hope that you believe that elementary arithmetic is
consistent, and true with respect to the standard model. But that is always the
case when we discuss with other people. We hope they don’t believe in 2+2=5.

Bruno