https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/lsu-be122018.php

Theoretical physicists developed a theory called loop quantum gravity in
the 1990s that marries the laws of microscopic physics, or quantum
mechanics, with gravity, which explains the dynamics of space and time.
Ashtekar, Olmedos and Singh's new equations describe black holes in loop
quantum gravity and showed that black hole singularity does not exist.

"In Einstein's theory, space-time is a fabric that can be divided as small
as we want. This is essentially the cause of the singularity where the
gravitational field becomes infinite. In loop quantum gravity, the fabric
of space-time has a *tile-like structure*, which cannot be divided beyond
the smallest tile. My colleagues and I have shown that this is the case
inside black holes and therefore there is no singularity," Singh said.

"These tile-like units of geometry--called 'quantum excitations'-- which
resolve the singularity problem are orders of magnitude smaller than we can
detect with today's technology, but we have precise mathematical equations
that predict their behavior," said Ashtekar, who is one of the founding
fathers of loop quantum gravity.

"At LSU, we have been developing state-of-the-art computational techniques
to extract physical consequences of these physical equations using
supercomputers, bringing us closer to reliably test quantum gravity," Singh
said.

Einstein's theory fails not only at the center of the black holes but also
to explain how the universe was created from the Big Bang singularity.
Therefore, a decade ago, Ashtekar, Singh and collaborators began to extend
physics beyond the Big Bang and make new predictions using loop quantum
gravity. Using the mathematical equations and computational techniques of
loop quantum gravity, they showed that the Big Bang is replaced by the "Big
Bounce."

[ a short lecture on LQG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMpkFde3euA ]

- pt