On 12/23/2018 8:45 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:33 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 12/22/2018 12:04 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/lsu-be122018.php

    Theoretical physicists developed a theory called loop quantum
    gravity in the 1990s that marries the laws of microscopic
    physics, or quantum mechanics, with gravity, which explains the
    dynamics of space and time. Ashtekar, Olmedos and Singh's new
    equations describe black holes in loop quantum gravity and showed
    that black hole singularity does not exist.

    "In Einstein's theory, space-time is a fabric that can be divided
    as small as we want. This is essentially the cause of the
    singularity where the gravitational field becomes infinite. In
    loop quantum gravity, the fabric of space-time has a *tile-like
    structure*, which cannot be divided beyond the smallest tile. My
    colleagues and I have shown that this is the case inside black
    holes and therefore there is no singularity," Singh said.

    "These tile-like units of geometry--called 'quantum
    excitations'-- which resolve the singularity problem are orders
    of magnitude smaller than we can detect with today's technology,
    but we have precise mathematical equations that predict their
    behavior," said Ashtekar, who is one of the founding fathers of
    loop quantum gravity.

    But is this consistent with https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2
    which showed spacetime to be smooth down to 1/525 of the Planck
    length?

Brent,

Wouldn't this be a successful prediction of Bruno's theory?  In another thread you said it had only made retrodictions, but wasn't one of Bruno's predictions that space and time would be continuous (not discrete), therefore it would predict LQG is false, and then https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2 would be a confirmation of that.

First, I don't see that his theory even predicts a topoloical space.  Second, Newton said space is a continuum so it's not a prediction peculiar to Bruno.