> On 24 Dec 2018, at 07:44, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 12/23/2018 8:45 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:33 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/22/2018 12:04 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>>

>>> https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/lsu-be122018.php
>>> <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/lsu-be122018.php>
>>>
>>> Theoretical physicists developed a theory called loop quantum gravity in
>>> the 1990s that marries the laws of microscopic physics, or quantum
>>> mechanics, with gravity, which explains the dynamics of space and time.
>>> Ashtekar, Olmedos and Singh's new equations describe black holes in loop
>>> quantum gravity and showed that black hole singularity does not exist.
>>>

>>> "In Einstein's theory, space-time is a fabric that can be divided as small
>>> as we want. This is essentially the cause of the singularity where the
>>> gravitational field becomes infinite. In loop quantum gravity, the fabric
>>> of space-time has a tile-like structure, which cannot be divided beyond the
>>> smallest tile. My colleagues and I have shown that this is the case inside
>>> black holes and therefore there is no singularity," Singh said.
>>>

>>> "These tile-like units of geometry--called 'quantum excitations'-- which
>>> resolve the singularity problem are orders of magnitude smaller than we can
>>> detect with today's technology, but we have precise mathematical equations
>>> that predict their behavior," said Ashtekar, who is one of the founding
>>> fathers of loop quantum gravity.
>>>

>> But is this consistent with https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2
>> <https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2> which showed spacetime to be smooth down
>> to 1/525 of the Planck length?
>>
>> Brent,
>>
>> Wouldn't this be a successful prediction of Bruno's theory?  In another
>> thread you said it had only made retrodictions, but wasn't one of Bruno's
>> predictions that space and time would be continuous (not discrete),
>> therefore it would predict LQG is false, and then
>> https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5191v2> would
>> be a confirmation of that.
>
> First, I don't see that his theory even predicts a topoloical space.

By the semantics available for S4Grz1, and the X1* logics. But intuitively, you
can see them arising from the fact that the first person indeterminacy has a
continuum range, as the DU multiplies all histories on all oracles (real
numbers) in the limit of all computations, which cannot be avoided from the
first person views associated to the machine.

> Second, Newton said space is a continuum so it's not a prediction peculiar to
> Bruno.

Like the very existence of a physical observable universe, this is explained by
Mechanism. Aristotle took this for granted, and Newton assumed the continuum at
the start, which is not an explanation, even if that was a very clever move to
get the correct local prediction. Note that Newton was aware that his theory
was on shaky metaphysical base, though.

Now, Mechanism predicts only that some observable are continuous. To derive
that time or position are such observable would need to get a notion of space,
which in the mechanist approach is the most difficult things to get. We will
get first the mathematics of knots, and derive space from there, perhaps.
String theory suggest that space could be a continuum, unlike Quantum Loop
Gravity, and mathematically, string theory seems to be favoured by Mechanism,
but that remains quite beyond … the mathematical logical tools available today