On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 6:46 AM <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> If the temperature was non uniform when the BB occurred, if it occurred,
> why would a sudden increase in its volume, aka inflation, erase or wash out
> those non uniformities?*

Regardless of how non-uniform the entire early universe may have been if
you kept looking at smaller and smaller volumes you'd eventually find a
size where thing were pretty uniform.  If inflation theory is correct that
small nearly uniform part of the universe started to expand exponentially; that
is to say it had a fixed doubling time, every 10^-37 seconds the diameter
of that small part of the universe doubled, and in 10^-35 seconds it
doubled a hundred times and became our observable universe. It has continued
to expand to this day but at a much much more leisurely rate.

> > *OTOH, if the initial temperature were uniform, would that obviate the
> need for inflation, or would non uniformities tend to become manifest were
> it not for inflation?*

Without inflation its very hard to understand how the temperature could be
uniform because there wasn't enough time for the temperature to equalize,
the distance parts of the universe were neven is causal comtact and yet
they are at the same temperature to one part in 100,000.

John K Clark