On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 1:38 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 11:32 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *> The point is that inflation only solves the problem given certain
>> initial conditions. We have no independent knowledge of those initial
>> conditions, *
>

> From observations I think we do have a little knowledge about what those
> initial conditions must have been, they could not have been fractal and
> infinitely complex as Penrose postulated because then the universe would
> also have started out in a condition of maximum possible entropy and could
> not have evolved to be in the much lower entropy state we see today.
>
> > *so it could well be that the initial condition was that everything was
>> always at a uniform temperature,*
>

> It's not just temperature, the initial conditions would also be that
> spacetime was uniformly flat. Today the observed density of matter/energy
> in the universe is very close to what would be needed to achieve overall
> spacetime flatness; for this to be true today the early universe must have
> been closer than one part in 10^62 to that critical density point.
> Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.
>

>> > *and there was no need for something, such as inflation, to render the
>> CMB uniform everywhere.*
>

> So inflation can't fix things if the universe started out with infinite
> complexity and entropy, but nothing else could either and yet the universe
> we see today is not in a maximum entropy state. And inflation is not needed
> if the initial conditions were at a uniform temperature and the mass/energy
> density was within one part in 10^62 of the critical point.

Flatness is explained if the unknown parameter k in the FRW solution is set
to zero. The the universe is always flat, no need to fine tune. Setting k =
1 or k = -1 is just as fine-tuned or not as k=0.

> It would seem to me that if two theories can explain observations then the
> one with the simpler initial conditions is the superior.

The trouble is that inflation is not  a simple theory. Where does the
inflation potential come from? (Do you even know what it is? Why don't we
see the inflaton?)The slow roll parameters have to be fine-tuned to a
remarkable degree to get agreement with observation, etc, etc.  All you
have to do without inflation is have smooth initial conditions with k=0 --
very much simpler.....

Bruce